What is a good breed of dog?

Now that all the dogs have been mentioned, I remember when I had a pet RR hen the save from death at a school hatchery. She was raised with a English Sheep dog. I don't know if the dog thought she was a chicken or the other way around. But they were friends. I gave Priss a milkbone on day and the chicken tried to take is away. I wonder how the Sheep dogs would do for protection?

no terrier or hunting dog! Maybe a type of herding dog. I would look into the breeds and what they are bred for. I am sure you will find one perfect for what you need.

Cannot tell you how much you need to get a dog that has NO PREY DRIVE,
I.E. chases things, cars/kids/movement.
Test this with throwing an object with your potential dog, make sure the dog
sees the object, his eye level, and see his reactions, anything that goes after the
object is a no go.
I raise and train Border Collies, with HUGE prey drive, and have never had issues
with my silkies, day old to adult,(My bc are left all day with no supervision with my
silkies) but I am a trainer......My best advice came from an
old timer, she put the 6 week old puppy with a mean hen, scared the dog, never
did anything to chicks again, and I add then the pup near my chicks to then bond and
create one with chickys.
Hope this helps,
Jill

ok everyone here is a curveball... I really want to get a doberman pinscher. I know they have the worst reputation as a viscious dog but that is not the case at all. They are actually great family dogs as long as they are trained, well-socialized as a puppy, given enough attention and bred correctly. Inbreeding of dobes often creates an unstable minded dog that leads to the terrible reputation they have. I've known several families who have sworn by their loveable dobe. However, I do have 3 chickens at 12 weeks old.

Has anyone ever had a Doberman Pinscher and chickens? How is the Dobe? They are highly trainable but do they still have ahigh prey-drive for them?

Quote:
My Golden Retriever growing up did the same thing! She brought a baby chick over from the neighbor's very gently in her mouth. My dad would take her duck hunting also. She was even egg trained and would carry an egg in her mouth (when given one) without breaking it. She was easy to train and a great family dog.

I have a poodle now (also a bird dog) and he is great with the chickens. As far a guarding them, he found a racoon in the neighbor's tree bordering our yard. He barked him up the tree. : ) Good boy!! Not sure if he would be good at protecting them from other dogs though besides just barking although he might snarl at them. ; )

we had dogs of all sorts over the year, daschunds, gsd, rotties, border collie, pitts, jack russel, boxers, bullies, etc... all live with the other animals that live here (ducks, chooks, goats, sheep, geese, pigeons, pigs... ), all are fed raw (and when we feed raw it means feather, skin, fur, bone etc...)....

They all know not to touch any of our animals and they're good at hunting and killing anything that don't belong here.... 50% training, 45% consistency, 5% the dog's personality...
We had chicken killers board with us, by the 3rd day they usually ignores the chicken, but returns to their old habit when back with their owners.... all in how you read and treat the dogs...

I bred Dobes for about 10 years and in my opinion they fantastic. But they just like any has to be taught what they are allow to do and not allowed to do. But for sure, the predators that do show up the Dobe's can take care of it by themselves. No .22 needed.

Back
Top Bottom