What is a good breed of dog?

P-Funk

Songster
9 Years
Feb 20, 2011
Franktown
Over the past 4 months I lost 2 girls while free ranging. One at the teeth of the neighbors dog and one by the foxes who live across the street. I'm looking at adopting a large dog to help patrol the ranch. Two people found dogs for me yesterday. One is a a Lab/Cattle Dog mix and the other a Huskie. Both are puppies which I'm sure I'll need to train to get along with the birds (and cat). The offers are rolling in @ regular intervals, but if I get the wrong dog, well, I don't want to do this more than once. I hear coyotes early in the morning but never see them. I also have horses, but there's nothing here that can take down a 1200 pound saddlebred. Any suggestions? The Denver Dumb Friends Leauge suggested a Foxhound, Really?

Last edited:
Adding my 2 cents. I know people that have huskies and have had a heck of a time trying to train them to ignore their natural prey drive. They are great with basic obedience like sitting and such, but trying to call it off the chase of a small animal is a battle. I know not all are like that, but I believe that is the exception and not the rule.

Now, to the two breeds I have had around chickens, rabbits and horses. A Pembroke Welsh Corgi and German Sheperd. The corgi loved to herd when it was younger and had a hard time sitting still and staying put while I was interacting with the other animals. It took about a year before she would just chill and not lend her herding skills unless asked to do so. The problem with Corgi's is they are too darn smart. Trying to stay one step ahead of her was tough, and they are mischievous. Which can be entertaining.....and annoying. They are great.....but require a strong owner who is going to take the time to train them and give them constant mental stimulation to keep them out of trouble.

Next, GSD. Since I got my first one two years ago I have decided that I will never be without one. By far the best match for my little urban farm. They are crazy smart, loyal and athletic.....but they are willing to defer to your better judgment and ignore their own instincts when asked to do so. This is one of the few breeds that have that capability. All I needed to do was claim the chickens as mine and correct her once when she started to chase one and she backed off them. Now she will follow a few of her favorites around trying to get them to play with her. She will lick them and let them walk all over her when she is lying down. Same thing with my rabbits. I know that she still wants to have a taste, but she respects my authority and overcomes her urges to make better decisions. That is what I love about them. She was rescued from the pound at the age of one as well, so it is not even necessary to start from a puppy (though I would, who doesn't love a puppy!). GSD still need allot of mental stimulation and exercise, but an active person willing to spend a few minutes a day on new training will easily meet their needs.

Good luck!

Quote:
I have a Lab and American Bulldog Mix and he is so good with every animal I have, I also have a Boxer/Mastiff mix and she is really good to but she has a little more spunk in her and likes to try and play with them. She likes to sniff and follow them around the yard while wagging her tail excitedly. She is a squirrel chaser and I can tell she likes to chase rodent type creatures. I find her wimpering at the bunny rabbit~ so needless to say I wouldn't trust her alone with the bunny! But I would be very cautious with choosing breeds that would typically used for hunting or any kind of bird dogs! Do some research before you get one and definately will take some training~ thats the most important part. I have an assortment of animals and luckily they have all been good with one another. Let us know what you pick!

Im getting a Great Pyrenees to guard my flock and my farm. I fell in love with them through a friend and she has convinced me to get one
tongue.png
They are great dogs and are bred for this type of work. I would look more into a breed that is bred for the job you are looking for to have better success
wink.png

IMHO, most any "puppy" can be raised to be around most anything. Just looking at all the various images on this site bares that out:D

I have hunting labs....it is a constant fight keeping everyone apart. I can call my youngest dog off birds, but the oldest one is set in his ways and will bring you a bird. No amount of wing flapping and squaking deters him.

Since it has not been said yet, I will post it: Huskies are notorious for their prey drive and require a strong owner. Not necessarily strong as in "I can lift 100 pounds strong", but strong personality wise where "I tell you to sit and you know I mean it" without having to beat the dog to back it up! I loved my husky, she and the cat were best friends and would play, and hunt mice together. But she would kill anything that was not part of the family. Stray cats, skunks, rabbits, robins, wild turkeys, fox, sparrows, woodpeckers, turtles, ... Embarrassed the heck out of me every time she went to the neighbors to chase the steers. At least they thought it was funny and would call me up laughing! (only happened twice) Three times tangled with a porcupine and lost every time, never did learn.

That being said, when you are looking at puppies or other dogs, spend some time playing with them before yo decide to take it home. Roll them over onto their backs and see how they handle being held that way. Look for a pup that is not out to dominate you, not growling and snapping trying to get loose. You want a dog that wants to be with you and will listen to you as boss, not try to be the boss. A dog that is too timid will not become the guardien that you want, but too aggressive will not respect you or the rest of the family - chickens included.

The two biggest factors will be the dogs personality and how much/well that you train it, and that takes time. You can correct alot of personality traits with the proper training, but it sure is easier if you get a dog with a nice personality to begin with.

To respond to "not a bird dog", my irish setter loves birds. He will point them out to me, he will pick them up and bring them to me, but he would never think of killing one. He loves to kill mice, snakes and gophers, but birds are to brought to momma in whatever condition he finds them in. He will retrieve wounded birds while hunting, and I have to dispatch them when he gives them to me. My best friend in high school has a golden retriever that would sneak into the barn and steal the chicks from the hens, carry them into the doghouse and sleep with them. This was a dog that hunted and retrieved ducks every fall.

It all depends on the temperment and training.

Our 120 pound German Shepherd is a fantastic guardian. He barks to alert when coyotes are near, frequently trees raccoons and possums, kills the occasional rat (yuck) and does not threaten our chickens. He loves to lay outside their run and watch them. They're not the least bit afraid of him. In fact, I frequently find them standing nose to beak, dog and hen. They're friends.
smile.png
He also serves as companion and guardian to our horses.

For the record, I wouldn't shy away from bird dogs. They're intelligent, obedient breeds and they're relied upon to retrieve birds without mauling them.

I have a beagle/terrier mix who will kill mice, wild rabbits, squirrels. however I have taught him baby. He will not touch any of the animals I have as pets, rats, snakes, ferrets, rabbits, chicks/chickens, kittens. My DS just got a young husky she is not trusted with the birds she killed my 5 6 week old chicks. She is playing she has a high prey drive. She is in training. I think a puppy or young dog would be best and start training asap. I use the word baby but some use mine what ever works to teach the dog that any animal you bring in is not to be touched. I think any dog can be trained to be a good guard dog. I use submissive and obedience training. I do not use shock collars its positive reinforcement with correction (bite). I hope you can find a dog that works for you. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom