Dog / Human Conflict

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh my word, this seems to have been going on since 2018. I sure hope being a badass, using "your rights" and shooting that first dog has been worth 4 years of neighbor wars and endless torment.

Folks, YOU CAN'T DIVORCE YOUR NEIGHBORS

If you decide to get trigger happy, you don't know if you're setting off more crazy than you're packing. Kill them with kindness. I've lived in AR/MO, and I swear if you'd shown up at their momma's church with a coffee cake and asked the pastor to pray for you to find friendship with your neighbor every Sunday their own family would be against them by now. You don't fight fire with fire, you fight it with water.

Speaking of water, motion activated sprinklers loaded up with some good food coloring also would have taken care of this. A person only wants their big, macho dog coming home bright pink so many times. Then it's their problem and there's no way to spin you as the evil, dog-murdering bad guy, because Fido was just chasing a coon across your yard, actually defending your chickens, because he never hurt little Susie's chickens and now she doesn't have Fido sleeping at the foot of her bed at night - because I promise something like that is your neighbor's story.

And yeah, I've lived it and done it. Most notably, a big chow/Pyr cross kept coming, killed ducks, killed chickens and had to be beat off a goat, but I was always kind to the owner. When finally we did shoot the dog, it was because our sweet neighbor begged us too, she chased him and tried to pull him off our goat and was hysterical. I was still kind and we buried him for her, we became and stayed friends to the end of her life. Another neighbor kept a semi-feral pack. We went the church route and they were actually shamed into moving - the other neighbors fought them and everyone just dug in harder, but there's no fighting niceness, and folks started to think, "Well, there's no way it's RiverOtter's fault, maybe it's been Rotten Neighbor's fault the whole time." You're part of a community whether you like it or not, might as well use it. Because hell no, the cops aren't going to get involved when you're both endlessly calling them on each other, and killing each other's animals left and right. Give them a good guy and a bad guy or they won't even try.

I don't know about you, but to me it's well worth buying 6 cattle panels to pen my birds in and 2 motion activated sprinklers, rather than live like OP has lived for 4 years, with no end in sight.
Adding food coloring to the sprinklers was a brilliant idea! I don't know I'd ever need to use it because my chickens are contained in predator proof coops and runs. I leave their coop door open at night so they let themselves out every morning .Its got a small run attached that I can see from my back door They have a bigger run I open up after I get up and its predator proof too. I put a motion light inside my coop and run so if anything bothers my chickens they wake up and stir around and the light comes on. I've never lost a chicken to a predator or shot a neighbors dog.I can't swear I never would but I hope I never have to. It all boils down to protecting what is ours to the best of our ability and not leaving things to chance.

Oh my word, this seems to have been going on since 2018. I sure hope being a badass, using "your rights" and shooting that first dog has been worth 4 years of neighbor wars and endless torment.

If you decide to get trigger happy, you don't know if you're setting off more crazy than you're packing. Kill them with kindness. I've lived in AR/MO, and I swear if you'd shown up at their momma's church with a coffee cake and asked the pastor to pray for you to find friendship with your neighbor every Sunday their own family would be against them by now. You don't fight fire with fire, you fight it with water.

Speaking of water, motion activated sprinklers loaded up with some good food coloring also would have taken care of this. A person only wants their big, macho dog coming home bright pink so many times. Then it's their problem and there's no way to spin you as the evil, dog-murdering bad guy, because Fido was just chasing a coon across your yard, actually defending your chickens, because he never hurt little Susie's chickens and now she doesn't have Fido sleeping at the foot of her bed at night - because I promise something like that is your neighbor's story.

And yeah, I've lived it and done it. Most notably, a big chow/Pyr cross kept coming, killed ducks, killed chickens and had to be beat off a goat, but I was always kind to the owner. When finally we did shoot the dog, it was because our sweet neighbor begged us too, she chased him and tried to pull him off our goat and was hysterical. I was still kind and we buried him for her, we became and stayed friends to the end of her life. Another neighbor kept a semi-feral pack. We went the church route and they were actually shamed into moving - the other neighbors fought them and everyone just dug in harder, but there's no fighting niceness, and folks started to think, "Well, there's no way it's RiverOtter's fault, maybe it's been Rotten Neighbor's fault the whole time." You're part of a community whether you like it or not, might as well use it. Because hell no, the cops aren't going to get involved when you're both endlessly calling them on each other, and killing each other's animals left and right. Give them a good guy and a bad guy or they won't even try.

I don't know about you, but to me it's well worth buying 6 cattle panels to pen my birds in and 2 motion activated sprinklers, rather than live like OP has lived for 4 years, with no end in sight.
Really... That's your answer. Dye someone's dog, lol. So shooting one didn't work, but dying one pink is??
Dog owner: Honey, were going to have to build a fence to keep our dogs in the yard. Fido came home dyed pink... Don't think so.

So, pour a few gallons of food dye down the well? Motion sprinkler system need a water source. That's a well or city water. Or have to purchase stock tank, pump and rig something up to work.
Landowner shouldn't have to go to lengths and spend money to spray someones dog pink. Landowner shouldn't have to spend money on fencing he doesn't need or possibly can't afford to keep neighbors dogs out.

Really... That's your answer. Dye someone's dog, lol. So shooting one didn't work, but dying one pink is??
Dog owner: Honey, were going to have to build a fence to keep our dogs in the yard. Fido came home dyed pink... Don't think so.

So, pour a few gallons of food dye down the well? Motion sprinkler system need a water source. That's a well or city water. Or have to purchase stock tank, pump and rig something up to work.
Landowner shouldn't have to go to lengths and spend money to spray someones dog pink. Landowner shouldn't have to spend money on fencing he doesn't need or possibly can't afford to keep neighbors dogs out.
This.

Pasture rotation will be used extensively in years to come, in part for parasite control. No more than 12 ewes plus age-0 offspring and 6 does plus age-0 offspring will be kept, in addition to alpacas. A donkey is being considered for running with alpacas. Alpacas are not to be pastured with the ruminants to avoid health issues for alpacas. The barnyard area represents only about 1/2 acre and will serve as winter quarters for my adult gamefowl free-range core area young of year during production season. Roughly 12 acres of additional ground will be used for grazing other animals. That additional ground will be broken up into about 12 paddocks where one paddock will support adult gamefowl during the production season. That paddock will be a good example of silvopasture.

Strip grazing may even be part of approach while I have age-o stock in finishing phase. They will be pasture finished rather than grain / hay in a dry lot.

Only the barnyard area will have the sheep and goat panels as they are far more expensive than other fencing options. The more cost-effective fencing for stock confinement will not be reliable for excluding roaming dogs and even my pack of 5 dogs plus a jenny will be hard pressed to defend all area from a pack like I'm dealing with now.

I want to expand land use for sheep and goats outside the barnyard area by spring once they consume vegetation down to point where I can topseed. The sheep and goats will be used to manage vegetation throughout property with some areas managed to support wildlife. That means the number of head per acre will be low, as in low enough we can go through winters with little or no need for hay except for when snow is heavy. Some of ewes and does will be used for dairy purposes and may need be moved a considerable distance each day.

My English Shepherds will have dual responsibility of keeping predators out and moving stock in the event I have trouble getting them to go somewhere by training. Only one dog at a time will be used for moving stock and it may not be used routinely for predator management. Integration of jenny and my dogs will be a challenge to address.

@ChickensComeHome2Roost I already keep honeybees with one apiary / beeyard in orchard currently used as winter quarters for adult gamefowl and another apiary south of barnyard area. Neither excludes animals or people.

This place is a training ground for children so is going to have a diversity of approaches and land use at any given time.
This documented plan of your property is a valuable thing. Your land is yours, and your neighbors dogs are negatively affecting your plans to utilize the property you paid for.

4 years? I’ve purchased and installed 48 panels, not six. You are not following.

Motion-activated Turrets. 30 cal. should suffice.

The authorities not acting on this is unimaginable.

I’d dig a hole and play dumb when dogs started disappearing.
Authorities and AC here will outright tell you to shoot it. I imagine if you begged and pestered them enough, they may come out. Doesn't do any good though when the owners just do not care.

Authorities and AC here will outright tell you to shoot it. I imagine if you begged and pestered them enough, they may come out. Doesn't do any good though when the owners just do not care.
And here in crazy n IL big problems if you get caught shooting your own dog, much less somebody else's. Guy went to jail for animal cruelty for shooting his sick dog. Vet said it needed to be put down and he couldn't afford it.

If you don't think so, it's only because you're not thinking, you're reacting. To people like that, your chickens are YOUR problem, it's only when they have to deal with something that it becomes THEIR problem, and yeah, their dog looking like a circus clown and rubbing that dye all over their house is, in fact, THEIR problem.
The dog getting hurt, grounds to press charges - you won't be keeping chickens after an animal cruelty charge, so that's one way to solve the problem, I guess. The dog killed, not an ongoing problem, just an excuse to go nuclear.

And you've clearly never used a motion activated sprinkler. It has a short little feeder hose. Put some gel food coloring in there and hook it back up, thirty seconds.

And don't act like dogs are the only thing out there. If dogs can kill your chickens., so can everything else on earth. Animal owners need to keep their animals safe, and that means fence, regardless of the predator. Land owners who keep livestock, need fence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom