What is a good broody bantam to get?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by PioneerPrincess, Nov 29, 2009.

1. PioneerPrincess

PioneerPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    TX
    Maybe sometime next year, I would like to purchase a good broody bantam hen to hatch eggs, raise the chicks, and then once they are a good size put them in our freezer. She would have to be big enough to lay on about eight eggs at a time. She would be hatching White & Partridge Rock, Minorca, RIR, and NHR eggs. Thanks for your help! [​IMG]

2. Kennyog

Kennyog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Oak Grove
    Cochins or any game type banty.

3. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    So far I'vve had 1 bantam wyandotte go broody on me and hatch out her for 4 eggs. Almost has ANOTHER one go broody but I stopped her because she had a show in a few weeks.

4. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I hear silkies are great at hatching eggs. I do not have silkies however. Seems like there is constantly one of my seramas going broody but the one time I tried to let them hatch a batch, they scrambled them all. But my btb Japanese hatched out 6 babies just recently.

5. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    silkies silkies silkies!!!
    They would rather brood than eat!

6. Chooksaurus

Chooksaurus Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    NW WI
    I have 3 bantam mutts that are 6 months old. In the last 2 months, all three of them have gone broody, and one of them just went broody for the second time.

One is part silkie, one is Japanese Grey, and the other I have no idea. The only thing that they have in common is that they came from a farm, not a hatchery/breeder. I am by no means an expert, but I think the fact that they are from a farm has possibly allowed some of the broodiness that is normally bred out of birds to come back...with a vengeance!

All I know at this point is that it is the end of November and I have 2 broody bantams hogging 2 of the 6 nest boxes that my 20 layers need. [​IMG]

7. Megs

Megs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    for broodyness i would have said cochins but i doubt they could brood 8 large eggs?? i have heard silkies are great broodys, not sure how many large eggs they could properly incubate.

8. cochin123

cochin123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    fort walton beach, fl
    my cochin hens can set 6 large eggs no prolben
    and my silies 3 or 4 max

9. KyBlue

KyBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Southeastern KY
    Definitely bantam wyandottes! I prefer them over my cochins and silkies.

10. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    I guess you see by now, any fluffy butt-ed bantam works great, should do well with any of them, By the way, yall must have tiny silkies, mine do 1/2 dozen large fowl/ducks or 12-15 bantams at the time , no problem

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by