What is a good broody bantam to get?

PioneerPrincess

Songster
10 Years
Sep 16, 2009
TX
Maybe sometime next year, I would like to purchase a good broody bantam hen to hatch eggs, raise the chicks, and then once they are a good size put them in our freezer. She would have to be big enough to lay on about eight eggs at a time. She would be hatching White & Partridge Rock, Minorca, RIR, and NHR eggs. Thanks for your help!
smile.png

So far I'vve had 1 bantam wyandotte go broody on me and hatch out her for 4 eggs. Almost has ANOTHER one go broody but I stopped her because she had a show in a few weeks.

I hear silkies are great at hatching eggs. I do not have silkies however. Seems like there is constantly one of my seramas going broody but the one time I tried to let them hatch a batch, they scrambled them all. But my btb Japanese hatched out 6 babies just recently.

I have 3 bantam mutts that are 6 months old. In the last 2 months, all three of them have gone broody, and one of them just went broody for the second time.

One is part silkie, one is Japanese Grey, and the other I have no idea. The only thing that they have in common is that they came from a farm, not a hatchery/breeder. I am by no means an expert, but I think the fact that they are from a farm has possibly allowed some of the broodiness that is normally bred out of birds to come back...with a vengeance!

All I know at this point is that it is the end of November and I have 2 broody bantams hogging 2 of the 6 nest boxes that my 20 layers need.
barnie.gif

for broodyness i would have said cochins but i doubt they could brood 8 large eggs?? i have heard silkies are great broodys, not sure how many large eggs they could properly incubate.

I guess you see by now, any fluffy butt-ed bantam works great, should do well with any of them, By the way, yall must have tiny silkies, mine do 1/2 dozen large fowl/ducks or 12-15 bantams at the time , no problem

Back
Top Bottom