What is a good broody bantam to get?

This is one of my little girls. The chicks are now 8 weeks old and much bigger than her. My silkie was a great broody too. They would often share sitting and raising duties.

cold.jpg

Thank you for posting pics. I forgot about adding the mille fleur d'uccles. Those are another favorite color/breed of mine. How many colors/variations are there of silkies and wyandottes? It sounds like they are the best broodies so far!!
smile.png
What color type is Wendy Wyandotte in the "Adventures of Barbara"? I like her coloring too. There are so many pretty breeds/colors and yet you still have to look for the best broody.
roll.png
That makes so hard to chose. Just wondering, are Polishes good layers? Thanks for your help!
smile.png

Okay, if you've never had a Sizzle (Silkie/Frizzled Cochin mix) as a broody you have missed out. These girls will sit, sit, sit...just like all Silkies. But, the difference comes when the babies hatch...out comes the Cochin personalities with these Mothers! Unlike my Silkies that seem to almost move in slow motion with a cluch of babies, the Sizzles are all over the place, clucking, calling their babies, and are running EVERYWHERE while being so attentive to each chick. MY personal favorite for broody bantams.

Sizzles, Silkies and Bantam Cochins all brood like the devil. I've got one who really would rather brood than eat, I swear it.

I have a friend who's bantam games are also awesome. So in the end it's just a matter of what you like to look at. I like sizzles, they're hilarious, but I have all three above.

I have bantam silkies (1), cochin (2), Japanese (5) blue d'Uccle (5) Dark Cornish (5) and Dutch (1) all from this sping hatch. The first to go broody is a black Japanese girl. I moved her yesterday into the newly renovated hen house and put a curtain around her box. She is only sitting on 1 large (Golden Comet) egg, and 2 of her own. She came out once to eat, but I saw no sign that she had been eating before I moved her.

Last night on my nightly check and count I couldn't find Princess the birchin cochin.....at last I found her tucked into the nest box with the broody girl. Not sure what that means.

Also could I put more eggs under her now? I think she has been setting on these about 4 days or so?

New at this so will appreciate your input.

Thanks, Carol

Back
Top Bottom