What is a good dog to have around chickens?

I have a lab mix who used to chase ducks and as soon as we got ducks a simple "no" taught her that ducks are no longer for chasing.

She likes to go to the chicken coop and knows that the chickens eat the same kind of food she likes.

My Standard Poodle was perfect with all other critters- My Boston Terrier needed some help when he was a puppy to learn to be gentle, but now is very carefull with the chickens and especially loved to lay on the floor with my japanese bantams when they were chicks. Depends on the dog's instincts and desire to control them for you.

can a pure 9 month old yellow lab be trained to be aroung chickens sib=nce their natural instinct is to hunt them? I keep hearing about mixes but what about a whole lab?

you can train anyting to fight its instinks its how well and long would you trust em, the sec you trust em they ll eat every one of your rir and you will be chickenless
20950_getattachment.jpeg

he was bred to hunt hogs!
he ate chickens like you would mcnuggets!
12 in less the 2 hrs
i am 6'4" so you can get an idea how big he is

Our son raises chickens and has had a Great Pyr in with them for three years. He's never lost a chicken to any predator, including hawks, yet.

I got chickens when I had pitbulls and a mix breed (ready for this, she was a cocker spaniel, spitz, german sheppard, lab). They were old and once the chickens were introduced as part of their family they never messed with them. But let a cat come in the yard and you would never see that cat again.
After the Pits and my mixed girl passed I got my two black Cocker Spaniels (brothers). I got them as puppies and were taught from the get go. When they were less than a year old one accidentally ran into one of the chickens (Maude) and broke her leg. So besides that one vet bill and the chicken being in a cast for weeks on end I have never had a problem with the Cocker's. Let them see a squirrel and the chase is on.
The main thing would be if you are going to get a dog, try to get a puppy and teach them from the start. That way they will know that the chickens are part of their pack and protect them instead of thinking of them as lunch or a toy.

I have retired racing greyhounds and except for one non fatal incident with the ducks they've been really good with the birds.

Whatever breed you get, training and paying attention for at least the first few months is the secret.

If we lose a bird to a dog it will be to the neighbors totally untrained rotti. She's a sweet dog, but totally out of control .

Back
Top Bottom