what is a good hatchery to order from?

ilovemydog

Songster
8 Years
Mar 14, 2011
I'm looking for a very few minimum chick purchase and low shipping rates what are some good hatcheries?

Last edited:
Ideal Hatchery has a min. order of 25.00. Many seem to be happy with their chickens from there.

How much is meyers shipping? thats the thing that bugs me. is like 30 dollars in shipping.

I also buy from Meyer, but I live close enough to drive there. They are really nice people, and I've been lucky--they've never been wrong on the sex!

I also suggest Ideal because of there wide variety. Though you wont be getting perfect quality, not APA show quality. You can kinda expect that from most hatcheries. One I would NOT order from is sandhill....they are FULL of problems. There birds come sickly and the people are rude, rude, rude.

If you want small numbers, try looking on Craigslist for someone with locally raised chicks.

No matter how many you buy, the hatchery has to buy the expensive shipping box and shipping mat. For small numbers, they might include a heat pack. They still have to pay someone to pack your order and drive it to the post office and pay the postage for the whole box.

If you get a lot of chicks, the price gets spread out over a lot of chicks. If you buy 2 chicks, then the whole shipping cost is only shared by 2 chicks.

Back
Top Bottom