What is A Good Incubator Model?

MichalBeth7

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 26, 2014
Oklahoma
I'm currently borrowing a Hova-Bator, and I like it. But, I was wondering what any of y'all's recommendations would be for a first time incubator? I know they get pricey. I'm not looking for the super fancy ones, just one that is reliable and cost-effective. Any suggestions or recommendations?
smile.png

If you can afford to buy a Brinsea, I highly recommend them. I have the Eco 20 with the autoturn cradle and it is hands down my favorite incubator. Much much better than the Styrofoam ones, and I snagged a used one on here for $100, which was fantastic. If you don't mind having to constantly babysit your incubator, the Styrofoam ones are good to use when you're just starting out. Just be sure to keep your eye on them because with mine I often had random temp spikes and lows. Mine was Little Giant brand though, and the Hovabators might be better in that regard.

X2 on a Brinsea. I have octagon 20 advance EX with humidity pump. I know they are more expensive but boy are they worth it!! It is literally a set and leave incubator. The pump takes all the worry out of humidity control as it does it for you. I started out with a cheap Chinese incubator that cooked my eggs first time round because the thermostat was way off. Can't reccomend Brinsea enough love it,

I've never owned a Brinsea, and they may be the best for small numbers of eggs, but very pricey for what you get. I have several models of Hovabators and LG's, and most are a lot of trouble as mentioned, but one model is fantastic. For about the same money as a Brinsea Mini Advance (7 egg capacity, cheapest model with auto turning - $159.99 on Amazon) you can buy a Hovabator Genesis with an auto-turner from Cutler Supply ( http://cutlersupply.com/zen_new51/i...id=213&zenid=a433af4d2b4fad30c860ce39c983956c $168.85 + shipping). This model holds 42 chicken eggs in it's turner and is also "set and forget" (until lockdown). It's all digital and has a much better heating element than the other styrofoam models. I dry hatch, so I put the turner and eggs in, plug it in and mark the calendar. Within an hour it will be at the target temp and stay that way - highly recommended for anyone that doesn't want to pay Brinsea prices. Most people want more than a 7 egg capacity, and the Brinsea they really want is the model that holds 20 eggs, that one is $357.65, more than twice the price of the Genesis (and it holds only half as many eggs).

For about the same price as a top of the line Brinsea that holds 40 eggs, you could get a used Sportsman cabinet incubator that holds 288 and will hatch at least as well as any Brinsea. I have a Sportsman I paid $450 for and I love it. I also have an old-style Hovabator for a hatcher (I set and hatch weekly). The Genesis is what I loan out to families for the experience with their kids. It is as simple to operate as the Sportsman, but more portable and "observable".

Thank you for the responses! I'll check into both. I like the Brinsea, but I also would like to have one that holds more, so the Hovabator Genesis sounds more my style. I'll check both out though!

Thank you for the responses! I'll check into both. I like the Brinsea, but I also would like to have one that holds more, so the Hovabator Genesis sounds more my style. I'll check both out though!

If "money is no object" (and truthfully it's not for some people when it comes to spending on their hobby), then investing in a Brinsea 20 or 40 Advance makes a lot of sense. If you aren't certain how much you will be using it, the Genesis is a good compromise that will server you well while you try out this new adventure of hatching eggs. If you hatch regularly, you will soon want a second incubator to use as a hatcher. Unless you want to make your own from a cooler, the Genesis is ideal for that, should you decided to "upgrade" to a Brinsea later (or buy a second Genesis for that, no turner needed).

Back
Top Bottom