What is a good price for laying hens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Clovis, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Clovis

Clovis Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2013
    I saw an add on our local trading post for laying hens, various breeds, for $10 each. If they are good, healthy girls is this a good price?

Another add had various breeds, but no price, said they had been laying since August. How long does a good hen lay (how many years can we expect?) if we do decide to winter over next year?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

2. what did I do

what did I do Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Montana
    That is a good price. Laying hens bring $10 to $20. They will lay well all summer long before they molt.

3. laying hens they are living amazing creatures I would say $50

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
    Coop de Grass likes this.
  4. Sorry if I over did the price

5. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    It probably depends on where you are at, but $10 for a hen that is already laying and still in her first year is a great price where I'm from. There's a lot of work to get a hen to the piont of laying and many things can take her out before she gets to that point. Personally, if I were to buy POL hens $20 would be my top price unless it was something unusual that I wanted in my flock (BCMs?). Again that would be for a POL hen in her firswt year of life.

6. mtnviewfarms

mtnviewfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

I live in north Georgia and I charge, and easily get, $30 each for Heritage Breed and EE POL Pullets. I also sell younger birds for less, down to $15 each, for pullets 8-12 weeks of age.

I used to sell chicks that I hatched out from my Heritage Breeds and EE flock but found that, at least in my neck of the woods, what people who contacted me wanted - were nearly desperate to find - had to have at nearly any price - were POL Heritage Breeds and EEs.

This year I just 'thought' I was ready and raised as many as I was able to within the limitations of my poultry raising setup and have already SOLD OUT!

I'm gathering eggs today and for the next couple days and setting my Hovabator 1588 with my
    eggs and they will hatch a day before I get another 50 Heritage Breed and EE chicks from Meyer, my favorite hatchery - in fact Meyer is the ONLY hatchery we've ever used as we have been so very pleased with the consistent quality and egg laying performance of their birds.

For instance, my Meyer Welsummers that began laying last August have continued to lay nearly daily throughout the winter without any added light in their coop area AND the best part is that their eggs are the most gorgeous examples of Wellie eggs I've seen anywhere. All are very dark, a few have a hewn copper sheen and two girls lay large dark brown eggs that could easily pass for Marans.

I guess how much POL's sell for is kind of like they say about real estate - LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION!

We are within two hour drive or less from many major metro areas where the backyard poultry
    and eating more locally, etc. is in full swing and shows no sign of slowing down.

Since I LOVE hatching out and growing out chicks and caring for them as well as reveling in every stage of their development and people want to pay me $$ for doing it - it's a win/win!!!

7. humphrey farms

humphrey farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2012
    Naples Maine
    I get $15 for 4 mos old wyandottes pullets/cockerals. Once pullets start laying its $25.. They mature late so this is around 6-7 mos old.

8. Clovis

Clovis Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2013
    Thank you all for your replies and input. Sorry I haven't replied before now. I have a seizure disorder (one reason we are hesitent to get chickens, let alone pay much for them) and today is the first day I have been able to reply.

We are not wanting to start chicks do to the amount of care they take and the problems I have but wouldn't mind having a few laying hens over the summer. We're not planning on wintering over mainly for my husband having to care for me and the chickens alone if I get bad again.

Thanks again for all the great replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by