What is a "house chicken?"

A chicken that you raise and keep in your house with you. You make diapers for them and so on and so on. Not for me but some people do it.

Last edited:
I have 8 who live in a mud room in cages in my house. They don't wear diapers & have a run & coop outside that they enjoy when I'm around to supervise. They don't get to run around the house tho. But I do consider them HOUSE CHOOKS.

IMG_2884_hallway_3cages.jpg

Chickens living in the house? With diapers??!! Someone is pulling our leg here, right?

{{{this will get fun}}}
pop.gif
:

Last edited by a moderator:
House chickens are feathered lapdogs. A "house chicken" literally lives inside the house with their owners. Whether caged or free-roaming. I remember going to a Renaisance fair and seeing a group of people with geese that would give "hugs". They allowed their geese to roam the house with diapers. They said the geese even slept on the bed, sometimes the pillows, at night..
roll.png

Not for me, but, hey, whatever floats your boat!

-Kim

Last edited:
"house chicken" literally lives inside the house with their owners. Whether caged or free-roaming. I remember going to a Rennaisance fair and seeing a group of people with geese that would give "hugs". They allowed their geese to roam the house with diapers. They said the geese even slept on the bed, sometimes the pillows, at night.. .

Not for me, but, hey, whatever floats your boat!

"Whatever floats your boat," is often my motto, too, (although I prefer "Whatever torques your nuts" - same difference)

But, some things should just strike sensible people as "out there," ya' know? Somewhere you say, "Hold on - you gotta be kidding, right?"

It has been my experience that this question is never uttered, is even taboo, among the participants of Renaissance Fairs... and chicken diaper lovers,​

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL. I just had to ask them "What do you do with their eggs?"

I knew the eggs were edible, but I just didn't know whether they would eat the eggs of their "house-pets". They smiled and aswered that they blow the eggs out for decoration, if they didn't they ate them.

I was younger at the time and it still struck me as "odd". Not that there is anything "wrong" with it, I would rather have one of my chickens in the house than a cat(I'm allergic and just not a cat person), but it is quite something "different."

**I did get hugged by a goose and thought it was quite cool!

-Kim

Last edited:
I used to have a house chicken. HIs name was Little Chickie. We kept him in a wire crate in the living room. I would let him out into the yard every day and take him back in the first time he would crow. I had raised him in my apartment from a few days old and he was very attached to me. He lived quite happily in his cage. I wished I could have let him outside to get some sun more often. He loved to watch everything that was going on. And when someone new would come he would do a special dance. we got used to the crowing during the day. I had a sheet I would cover his cage with at night to minimize the early morning crowing. He was my baby. And yes, most people thought I was completely crazy. For about a year I had a flock of 5 chickens living in the crawlspace under my house. I had a half basement with a door that went to the crawlspace. people walking by on the sidewalk would get freaked out when they would see a chicken looking through the air vents at them( the sidewalk was about 4 feet lower than the house's foundation and only about 5 feet away. as long as I didn't have them outside, the humane society said they wouldn't take any action against me.

How did you get away with raising a chicken in your apartment?? Wouldn't the neighbors have heard him crow?

-Kim

Oberon and Titania are "house chickens" ..that wear diapers... and watch movies, use the pooter (sit on my lap while I surf the net) and follow me around like pups.

They also have a run out back and quite enjoy it when the weather allows.

Back
Top Bottom