What is a "Leghorn meat bird only"?

BoE1987

Chirping
Apr 17, 2021
Uh oh... how badly did I mess up with buying 6 birds?

I did a bunch of research on different sites that stated leghorns were meat birds. Come to find out from a homesteading group- thats not correct, which was fine because everyone on my yard is for eggs-
However... one day before I knew the truth, about a month ago, TSC had these little chicks labeled "Leghorn Meat Only".

I've never owned a CX, or any other broiler breed etc, only egg laying breeds.
I'm at about a 99% thought that these "leghorns for meat only" are in fact a broiler under a wrong name.

sooo..
What breed could they be and can I even attempt to keep them alive without severe health issues to breed them for stock for the purpose or meat? What are some instant health issues I would find in a meat bird that would require cull outside of leg/weight issues?
If they survive to adulthood and lay, is incubation any different than the 21 day period?
Also... will their feathers come in on the bald areas? It appears their belly areas are all perpetually BALD.
Theyre heavier than all my other chicks by far.
Theyre on a grow out feed but not a high protein feed (because again I've never raised meat birds but was intrigued at the " Leghorn meat only" sign)
20210417_191349.jpg
20210417_191341.jpg
20210417_191402.jpg

I think Leghorn Meat only birds maybe a newer version of Cornish X. Like Cornish cross X Leghorn. For what purpose, I don't know, except for maybe stronger genetics.
It'll be a tough journey to keep them as pets/layers. Cornish X can be kept alive for about 1-2 years on a restricted feed diet, & lots of exercise.
My current flock which is mix egg layer is free range but I'd like to do a day swap with this current flock of chicks that have kind of been raised together if at all possible. I have a pen these 6 birds can specifically keep if need be for free range but I dont know the benefit of free range vs specific feed. Length of life I am not too worried about as I equate that to keeping quail- get and grow/ incubate what you can.

Yes most of my flock is out of her
3 eggs a week
Oh, awesome! This year I'm trying to incubate a few of my duck eggs for some meat so I guess ill try to do the same with these birds. I'll let the flock out today since they're old enough and let them all segregate in their own areas so they can start getting some more exercise in them.
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom