What is a poultry show stick?

paddock36

Crowing
15 Years
Dec 24, 2008
Ocala, Florida
My son is in FFA and is showing some Silkies and there is a showmanship competition that he is going to participate in this year. I have seen some videos of people using sticks to walk their chickens or to position them. Is there a certain length or type to these sticks? I have not seen them at the feed store.

show stick is like a rodio antana im not shure where u can get one sence there rarely used

My son is in FFA and is showing some Silkies and there is a showmanship competition that he is going to participate in this year. I have seen some videos of people using sticks to walk their chickens or to position them. Is there a certain length or type to these sticks? I have not seen them at the feed store.

the showmanship ive seen used dose not use a walking stick i would call your locale 4h office to get showmanship book

It is not like a walking stick. It is like pointer used in presentations: a short, telescoping metal pointer with a small ball-like tip; when contracted, it is about the size of an ink pen; extended it is about 18-24". It can be used to nudge the bird into walking in or facing the correct direction, stopping or even raising the head. Used correctly it s merely a simple harmless tool; used incorrectly it could be viewed in poor light.

so use wroung wording but like i said there not use that offten in showmanship

It is not like a walking stick. It is like pointer used in presentations: a short, telescoping metal pointer with a small ball-like tip; when contracted, it is about the size of an ink pen; extended it is about 18-24". It can be used to nudge the bird into walking in or facing the correct direction, stopping or even raising the head. Used correctly it s merely a simple harmless tool; used incorrectly it could be viewed in poor light.

From talking to several judges, showmanship varies dramatically from one part of the country to another. West coast usually walks chickens and puts them into and out of cage I am told. I sometimes see it here and sometimes not. It varies by judge. Also varies if you are talking 4H or FFA versus ABA/APA show.

ive shown and done well in both there very much a like

From talking to several judges, showmanship varies dramatically from one part of the country to another. West coast usually walks chickens and puts them into and out of cage I am told. I sometimes see it here and sometimes not. It varies by judge. Also varies if you are talking 4H or FFA versus ABA/APA show.

Last edited:
So is this something that we would have to purchase or could I just cut a wooden rod down to about 18 inches. You know the type you can by in a craft store.

Back
Top Bottom