what is a Satin?

A Silkie lacking the Silkie feathering.

A smooth silkie. Came from a Cochin x Silkie many, many generations ago.

Satins are a project breed. They are breed to match silkies SOP except have smooth feathers instead of silkie feathers. They are usually a cross of Cochin and silkie then selectively breed over many generations to meet silkie SOP. This is my satin pullet Raven.
DE394709-E966-4BD6-9DB4-4728A9F42A8A.jpeg

Satins are a project breed. They are breed to match silkies SOP except have smooth feathers instead of silkie feathers. They are usually a cross of Cochin and silkie then selectively breed over many generations to meet silkie SOP. This is my satin pullet Raven.
View attachment 1890642
I'm not sure it could ever be classified as another breed. A different variety class, like Rose Comb x Single Comb in other breeds, I can understand.
Technically, they don't have enough different characteristics from Silkies to be considered another breed. There has to be at least 3 different characteristics.

I'm not sure it could ever be classified as another breed. A different variety class, like Rose Comb x Single Comb in other breeds, I can understand.
Technically, they don't have enough different characteristics from Silkies to be considered another breed. There has to be at least 3 different characteristics.
I know there are long term breeders that are working on getting them recognized and are showing them.

Back
Top Bottom