What is a strict diet for a Cornish Cross?

red horse ranch

Crowing
10 Years
Jan 24, 2014
Buffalo Wyoming
I have a almost 4 month old Cornish cross that must weight 10 lbs or more. The temp got up to 103 today and she was suffering a lot from too much fat. I have put her in a grassy pen under a tree to help her stay a little cooler but I want to really limit her food. She can eat grass but what's the least other food that I should give her to make her lose weight? She's been eating an all grain all flock feed along with the other normal young pullets. I also have poultry developer in a hanging feeder inside their pen. Is there anything else I should be doing to help her?
I realize she won't be a long lived bird but I'd like to make her more comfortable if I can. There's no way we will eat her.

I will give her a free run of the yard tomorrow and start making her move more. I am willing to put her down if I can't get her to be more normal. But there's just no way I'd be able to eat her. Do you think a quarter cup of developer or layer would be too little to feed her?

But there's just no way I'd be able to eat her. Do you think a quarter cup of developer or layer would be too little to feed her?
I totally understand you not wanting to eat her. After my Cornish cross pullet Eleanor passed away I swore off eating store bought chicken and I also swore that I would never eat a Cornish cross again even if I raised it at home.
I don’t know anything about restricting feed.

I wish I had not gotten my big girl. But somebody would have since TSC is good at putting them in with normal pullets. All I can do since she was put in my box of chicks is try to help her have a little better life. And I'm willing to work with her.
TSC is notorious for mislabeled chicks. I saw Cornish cross in the bantam bin. :th

Back
Top Bottom