what is a tetra pint

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cheri222, Mar 4, 2011.

1. cheri222

cheri222 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Erie PA
    I called a tractor supply about chicks and they said all they had left were tetra pints. They said they were egg chickens. Is there such a chicken? Another tsc had slw, comets and rocks. So I will finally get my slw. Any advice on picking females only?

2. buzymom13

buzymom13 I run the Alien Chicken Asylum

Apr 20, 2010
    [​IMG]

I picked up a couple "tetra tint" yesterday from our local TSC. I've researched a bit on BYC...since I had to tell the lady at the store about the golden comets and then explain that one of thier ducklings had wry neck and needed treatment. Anyways, I've found out that they are a mixed breed that Mr. hatchery does just for TSC. It's supposed to look sort of like a White leghorn (but not completely) and give a cream colored egg.

Hope it helps. [​IMG]

Good Luck! [​IMG]

3. lichick28

lichick28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    LONG ISLAND, NEW YORK
    I also got a dozen of the tetra tint chicks at TSC but no one there knew any thing about them. I will call Mt Healthy hatchery (1800 451-5603) monday and see what they say

4. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    How's about some pics of those Tetra Pints? [​IMG]

5. lichick28

Dec 31, 2008
    LONG ISLAND, NEW YORK
    They look like any other little yellow chicks with no special markings with clean legs. I just got them because I was curious?

6. 3princessesmom

3princessesmom New Egg

Mar 6, 2011
    I saw some at TSC also. I looked them up and all I could find was they were a commercial hybrid chicken. That was about it. I wasn't interested. I will go back on Monday when they have more black Jersey Giants.

7. lichick28

Dec 31, 2008
    LONG ISLAND, NEW YORK
    I just called Mt. Healthy & asked about Tetra Tint: Yellow as chicks. Adult-White bird, some may get dark spots, hens average 5 lbs. egg color is tinted light beige and they are high egg producers. Thats about all the info. they had on the birds

8. LoreleisMama

LoreleisMama Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2011
    I've got them too and that's all the info I could get. I went today and got some rhode island reds and one plymouth rock because it looked nothing like the others. [​IMG]

9. axion_lotus

axion_lotus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Central NC
    I wonder how their temperament will be? [​IMG] I may consider getting some if they make good pets also.

10. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    hey are from Mt Healthy hatchery and are only being sold to Tractor Supply to sale in their stores.

Here is a quote from an email when I emailed Mt Healthy about them
    We are carting the tetra tints just for Tractor Supply, we do not have them listed on the website, they are a high producers of creamy brown eggs, they are white in color maybe with some darker spots on them and the adult hens will reach app 5 lbs

Thank you,
    Mt Healthy Hatcheries

So they would bacically be a cross of a White Leghorn with another production breed, similar to the Austra Whites that Cackle is carrying this year that are a cross of a Black Australorp roo on White Leghorn hens.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by