What is attacking my coop?

I have several game cameras up around on my property and most nights when they are roaming here see one on at least one of the cameras. A coyote at a chick/grow-out coop.
DSCF0003112019 04.jpg

Yeah I am thinking do the camera before the trap so I don't trap my neighbors cat.
I don't disagree with putting the camera up, but if it's feasting on your chickens, why not try to trap it, even if it is the neighbor's cat? You could be polite about it and let them know you are having a problem so they can keep it contained.

It could very possibly be a Common Barn owl.. they make a terrible screech! The first time I heard it I immediately thought it was a screech owl until I saw it... it was very large and screech owls are rather small.. so I had to google the sound to find out it was a common barn owl.. they have been hunting my yard for some time now.. my chickens are safe in their coop and don’t seemed bothered at all by the loud screeching... I’ve found a half of a rat.. a partial eel.. the pellet the owl vomits which is the bones and fur they do not digest... and I found the remains of an opossum today! I LOVE the owls! Look at what they save our chickens from! Just make sure chickies are safe and let the owls take care of the rest... And the screech is awesome!!
17723504-F30F-4517-881C-07077E54B52D.jpeg
CA570283-8E9D-4336-A227-376574FAB8C4.jpeg

A little bit of electricity goes a long way! If you can run a hot wire or some hot poultry fence around the outside of your run & coop, that should deter pretty much anything that tries to get in from the ground.
It's so frustrating ... not to mention traumatizing ... to be facing an unknown predator ... especially one that screams in the night. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom