What is best laying hens

chickenboy

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 12, 2007
Woolwich,ME
Hey eveybody I have 5 rhode island reds that lay very well. I'm currentlyin the process of building a new coop and I plan to get more layings hens. They have to be able to live in colder weather because I live in Maine and it can get cold sometimes. So if you could drop me some breeds that would be great.

big_smile.png

Sex Links (Black or Red)(Brown Eggs)
Astralorps (Brown Eggs)

These two are hard to beat for egg production:lol:

Barred Rocks are very good layers and suited for cold weather. There are other chicken breeds that do well in the frigid temps, but they dont lay quite as well as a rule. Buff Orps are great for the cold, but they can go broody sometimes. Brahmas are fantastic in cold weather, but they lay a bit fewer eggs than the others mentioned.

chickenboy, My experience with Light Brahmas as laying hens is that they are exceptional layers. They are a heavy breed and slow to develop. I feed my hens very well and with 2 year old hens I got 12 extra large brown eggs from 14 hens today. That is as good as it gets and for cold hearty and great temperment, hands down the Light Brahmas are the only breed for me.
cool.png

bigzio

Back
Top Bottom