What is best nesting material?

Dragonfly Ranch

Songster
10 Years
May 13, 2009
Happy Valley, CA
When setting up our coop read to use straw for nesting material. Hens throw it out. Put in shavings and they are OK with it but dig out holes down to wood. What is the best material or should I just add more shavings?

Life is all about making memories

Hi Dragonfly, I use pine shavings. My layers do move the shavings around to get comfortable for laying. When I collect the eggs, I just fluff up the shavings and add only when necessary (or when I clean out the coop & boxes).

Have fun with yours!

D.gif

Val

If you are worried about cracked eggs, or having a problem with them, try a piece of that spongy shelf liner below the shavings. Hoses right off. Do you have a board across the bottom of the nest box to hold the material in? They might just be rearranging their nest.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use grass clippings from the yard during the summer. My girls seem to love it, plus it doesn't fluff out when the girls are rearranging the furniture, so to speak.

I use straw - but there are several inches of it to the bottom of the nest. Like probably 10 -12 inches. My girls seem to like it okay. They've never complained anyway.
big_smile.png

I went ahead and added more pine shavings last night. As one perosn put it maybe Sally (my Red Star) was just rearranging the furniture and I also think it wasn't deep enough. There are boards across the front (not sure how tall 6-8" maybe) to hold in shavings so filled close to the top. I have seen the rubber mats for the nesting boxes maybe I will add just to be on the safe side. Thanks you all for your input I really appreicate it.

Dragonfly Ranch

Back
Top Bottom