What is causing this?

VigChicks

In the Brooder
Aug 27, 2023
Our 7mo EE laid/pooped this. Here’s her history: Her first two eggs were normal at the beginning of the month. She didn’t lay for a week or so, and then it was a shell-less egg. Then this today.

My husband texted me this: I was watching her walk funny and then she attempted to poop and I saw something start to come out. Then she walked around and then she later that. Gave her water and she’s drinking a lot.

Attachments

• IMG_8364.jpeg
    IMG_8364.jpeg
    316.8 KB · Views: 36
Our 7mo EE laid/pooped this. Here’s her history: Her first two eggs were normal at the beginning of the month. She didn’t lay for a week or so, and then it was a shell-less egg. Then this today.

My husband texted me this: I was watching her walk funny and then she attempted to poop and I saw something start to come out. Then she walked around and then she later that. Gave her water and she’s drinking a lot.
That looks to be a lash egg
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/what-is-a-lash-egg-all-you-need-to-know-more.77939/

I am guessing it is an egg membrane of a blue egg layer, but lash material might be possible. Looks like a small blood clot or other material as well. I would cut it in half to see what is inside. If you have not given calcium, I would give calcium citrate with Vitamin D for 7 days orally into her beak to swallow.

Here’s the inside of it. She’s acting more normal, but was drinking a little more than normal.
IMG_8367.jpeg
IMG_8368.jpeg

Hopefully, she is just having a glitch in her reproductive system. But could have salpingitis. They can lay lash material, and pieces of membrane, yolk, or albumen. I would give the calcium and see how she gets along the next few days. Offer feed, some scrambled egg, and fluids.

Hopefully, she is just having a glitch in her reproductive system. But could have salpingitis. They can lay lash material, and pieces of membrane, yolk, or albumen. I would give the calcium and see how she gets along the next few days. Offer feed, some scrambled egg, and fluids.
Thank you. She’s always been very picky with foods, so we will definitely have to give her calcium drops directly in the mouth. Noticed some really watery poop this morning as well. Can’t say it was from her, but I'm assuming it was. 🥺

Thank you. She’s always been very picky with foods, so we will definitely have to give her calcium drops directly in the mouth. Noticed some really watery poop this morning as well. Can’t say it was from her, but I'm assuming it was. 🥺
Most chickens will swallow the calcium citrate with D tablet directly into the beak, just placing in the beak to swallow.

Most chickens will swallow the calcium citrate with D tablet directly into the beak, just placing in the beak to swallow.
So yesterday she laid an egg, but the shell was soft. It looked like a regular egg inside. Today she laid another regular egg, but no shell. I’m guessing this is better than what we’ve been finding? We are feeding her oyster shells, fish and just waiting on the calcium drops to get here.

Back
Top Bottom