1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is chicken poop suppose to look like?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LivingFate, Jun 13, 2008.

1. LivingFate

LivingFate Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2008
    Sorry for the question- but is all chick poop suppose to be solid or is there a degree or runnyness-sp that is normal? Chicks are still indoors and I've been finding quite a bit of dark brownish runny poo.- cocc? Diarrhea? Normal? What should I do? [​IMG]

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Chickens can poop all sorts of shapes, colors and degrees of runny-ness without it being any indiciation of ill health.

Sometimes their poops are pretty solid and formed. Sometimes it's totally white, sometimes runnier, sometimes less runny.

Completely watery poops that are more than once in a while would be a sign of concern, as well as watery poop with blood or worms.

I see a huge range of 'normal' poops with my chickens.

3. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    If the chicks have been indoors the whole time, don't worry too much. They aren't going to have cocci without being on the ground yet. You will see some goofy poos when they are young. An ideal poo is firm, and mostly brown, with a little bit of white on the one end.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by