1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what is Clotile?!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by YolandaT, Oct 10, 2010.

1. YolandaT

YolandaT Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2010
    Austin, TX
    We got her from a farmer, thinking she was a silver laced wyandotte. Well she's clearly not that but - what is she?!
    Also, is that lump on her neck normal for her breed?
    Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Is that just a beard or an actual lump under the skin? If she has a beard, she is a cross between a barred rooster and probably an Easter Egger hen. If a lump, that isn't right for any chicken breed.

3. YolandaT

May 10, 2010
    Austin, TX
    She is the most scaredy-cat chicken ever, I can never get close to her. I always thought it was a lump but will make an effort to catch her to feel it to see if its just a beard. Thanks!

4. KIDDSBANTAMS

KIDDSBANTAMS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2010
    Lexington
    She looks like my Barred Rock minus the lump, maybe she has something wrong with her.

5. YolandaT

May 10, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Good call, speckledhen! Just went out to feel her - and that lump is ALL feathers! I didn't know EE had beards, I never wouldve guessed. Thanks!
    Now I know what she is, and that she's okay. Yippee!

6. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    That "lump" is normal if the crop is really full.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Thank goodness, I thought she might have goiter or the mumps or something

8. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    The crop is much lower on the chest than that. That is not a crop lump. It looks like it is filled with air. Does it feel like an airy bubble? It doens't appear to be a beard either. If it's air, she may have a ruptured air sac.

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It really does look more like a lump to me in the pic, and as Jody said, it could be a ruptured air sac. I've seen ingrown feathers cause lumps, but nothing as huge as that looks to be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by