What is coming out of my chicken? URGENT

Dec 21, 2021
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
She's an Australorp hen that is about 2 years old. Lost weight.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
She is trying to pass something, and keeps squatting to push it out. To me it doesn't really look like an egg with no shell. She is excited to eat treats and is grooming herself and walking around.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
I have suspected ocular Mareks for quite some time now, maybe 4 - 5 months. She has developed a gold ring around her eye and her iris is slightly off. She has been losing feathers and her face is paler than the others. The thing coming out of her I only noticed an hour ago. I don't think it was there yesterday, I don't regularly check their vents.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
N/A

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Recently I took away the oyster shells as I integrated new birds into the flock that are too young to have them. Which is why I slightly suspect an egg with no shell but it just doesn't look like that to me. (please see picture)

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Not sure

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Separated her with water and food. Unsure of my next step.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Depends on what it might be

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
file attached

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
I use large pine flakes

If this is an egg with no shell, what do I do? If this a prolapse, what do I do and what could have caused it? Besides the seemingly unrelated symptoms I mentioned above, she hasn't shown any signs of being sick or in pain.

Attachments

• 76C0E84A-9994-4D9C-B695-7695CF8D9269.jpeg
    76C0E84A-9994-4D9C-B695-7695CF8D9269.jpeg
    630.3 KB · Views: 340
  • 038E0E0C-F57E-4982-AFFB-D104370DDF9D.jpeg
    038E0E0C-F57E-4982-AFFB-D104370DDF9D.jpeg
    589.4 KB · Views: 65
What exactly am I looking at? Is that whatever she's trying to push out of her vent?

What I'd do is clean up her behind, then get some more pictures.
Yes, now she is bleeding. I will try to get better pictures, she still has energy to fight me. Just a few minutes.

I really hope this is a better picture, it isn't great but at least her vent is visible. We washed her with water, to remove the feces and blood. There wasn't a lot of blood, but this looks horrible. EDIT: A family member helping me felt it and said it feels hard, not soft.

Attachments

• 35538015-4BF9-4CD6-9FC3-C709053AB3EF.jpeg
    35538015-4BF9-4CD6-9FC3-C709053AB3EF.jpeg
    462.4 KB · Views: 61
I really hope this is a better picture, it isn't great but at least her vent is visible. We washed her with water, to remove the feces and blood. There wasn't a lot of blood, but this looks horrible. EDIT: A family member helping me felt it and said it feels hard, not soft.
Thank you for that picture! Much better to tell what's going on.
Looks to me like quite a large prolapse. Could be caused by an egg, since you say it feels hard I think that's what it is.
The opening you can see to the left I believe is the reproduction intestine, and I think the egg is still in that part, and trying to come out of the reproduction intestine.
What you want to do is give her a calcium citrate +D3 tablet with at least 500mg of calcium, give that once a day. Just pop it in her mouth and she'll swallow it.
You'll also want to keep the prolapse moist, do so by applying a cream or honey to it, make sure it doesn't dry out.

I'll tag some experts.
@Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive @azygous

Thank you for that picture! Much better to tell what's going on.
Looks to me like quite a large prolapse. Could be caused by an egg, since you say it feels hard I think that's what it is.
The opening you can see to the left I believe is the reproduction intestine, and I think the egg is still in that part, and trying to come out of the reproduction intestine.
What you want to do is give her a calcium citrate +D3 tablet with at least 500mg of calcium, give that once a day. Just pop it in her mouth and she'll swallow it.
You'll also want to keep the prolapse moist, do so by applying a cream or honey to it, make sure it doesn't dry out.

I'll tag some experts.
@Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive @azygous
Thank you all so so much! Will petroleum jelly work? I've used that for egg bound chickens in the past. Besides that, should I try to put the egg / prolapse back in? Since I've never done this before, should I contact a vet? Again thank you all so I know where to go from here.

Back
Top Bottom