What is considered free-range?

I don't know what the technicial definition is, but it my mind its when chickens regularly have access to a space that is too big for them to complete de--nude of vegetation. So that would include chicken tractors.
But that's just one very amature opinion. I don't think there is a legal definition of any type.
Stacey

Last edited:
"field raised" is the term you're looking for, staceyl. I look at field-raised chickens as "one up" from free range, if you will.

Our 20 hens and 2 roosters are always in either their 8 x 12 coop or out in their 20 x 20 fenced run. I don't consider them free range at all since they are confined.

We have too many preditors to even think about letting them roam willy nilly. They wouldn't last one day.

We started with 22 newly hatched in June and still have 22.

We let them out in the morning around 9 to 10 and shut the door when they go in to roost at dark.

They seem very happy and the roosters crow all day long.

Ah I like that.
I always figured "free-range" in the grocery didn't mean much of anything. Glad to not being buying store eggs anymore. Now just need to eliminate store meat.
wink.png

Actually chicken tractor can be considered pasture range.

There are 2 versions of free range that are correct. One totally free no coop at all. The other only in a coop at night roaming all day loose. In a run is not free range but one can do part time free range. Most that free range do not feed either unless it is very little. Like I give a litte at night before locking the coop but they do not have a feeder full all day long. Then again most do not have property like ours either which was wild before we built 2 years ago.

I found this article on free range and pastured poultry.

http://lists.envirolink.org/pipermail/ar-news/Week-of-Mon-20030811/004828.html

Your particular state may have enacted its own laws on the definition, but generally the free range label in the market is absolutely worthless. It means there is a way for the chickens to get outside the building if they want to. Most chickens will not walk two or three hundred feet past thousands of strange chickens to get to a small opening they don't know about to get to a denuded enclosed pen. But that meets the legal definition.

According to this article, there is no legal definition of pastured poultry.

When I see people on this forum say they free range their chickens, I take it to mean that the chickens are not in a denuded pen but can roam an area to get bugs, seeds and, in season, green stuff. If you move your tractor often enough, you get the same effect.

As far as I am concerned, we all have our own goals and our own limitations. As long as we do the best we can with our specific situation, we are doing the best we can. Whether that involves letting them run unfettered, keeping them in a denuded pen but feeding them various treats responsibly, or just seeing that they get a diet of the feed from the feed store (which is a balanced, sufficient diet to keep them healthy), then we are doing the best we can. I certainly don't fault anyone for doing the best they can.

I think it depends on what the birds have access too, grasses and greens and bugs and such. If you have a large run that hasn't gone to dirt yet, they would be getting the benefits of free range in a safe environment. Same with the tractors, as long as they're moved often enough. That wouldn't actually be free range, but they're getting the same benefits as free range without as much risk.

Sand/dirt/gravel runs don't give the benefits of free range, so these birds would be called "cooped".. but not caged. Caged is just enough living space to survive, but not enough room to take a feel-good wing flapping turn around the run.

The best and safest IMO is "Cooped Free Range", in the form of tractors or rotating runs to keep the grass/weeds available. Not really free range... but.. same diet supplementing.

True free range though, is fun if you have the room. It's neat to go out and call the chickens, and have them come running for a treat from all directions. But, you have to worry about if they'll all come back, and you have to do a head count like twice a day, and keep your ears open for the sound alert in case you can shoo the predator away.

This is from the USDA's Farmer's Market Glossary of Terms:
"FREE-RANGE: Free-range, free-roaming, and pastured imply that a product comes from an animal that was raised unconfi ned and free to roam. “Free-range” claims on beef and eggs are unregulated, but USDA requires that poultry have access to the outdoors for an undetermined period each day."

Note that it says "access to the outdoors". I read a recent ruling where the "free range" label was authorized for a company who had a deck surrounding the warehouse where chickens were kept. For a little while each day, the chicken's cages were unlocked and they were free to visit the (enclosed) deck. They couldn't reach the ground, but the definition doesn't say they have to.

Last edited:
A few months back I read a post (well, it was a bit of a rant) from Daveroo (I think) about 'free range'. It was actually quite well written and I wished I had bookmarked it.

At any rate, I recall him railing on people's use of the term 'free range' as it's so poorly definied and understood. The technical (USDA) definition is pretty bogus, as it only requires access to the outdoors. Most people on BYC have a much higher standard than that. When I see 'free range' used on BYC, I think people turn their chickens out w/out fencing or boundaries and the birds roam around and forage, then return to their coop at night. I get the feeling that most of us do not do that due to predation and/or neighbors. I think the most accurate term for the coop/run setup is 'pastured', where we've created a controlled and secure indoor/outdoor environment for them.

I'm going to keep looking for Daveroo's post, as it was pretty entertaining and informative.
wink.png

It seems to me that "free range" in largely immaterial unless one is trying to define their eggs/chickens in a marketing situation. As one of the earlier posters said, we all do the best we can with what we have to make our little critters happy campers! And keep them alive!

Back
Top Bottom