What is considered free-range?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Danigirl3, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Danigirl3

Danigirl3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Central Maine
    Does it mean your chickens are out running willy-nilly on the property (which I would love to do if not for the neighbors dogs and what not ) or can I consider mine that are cooped at night and in a run during the day free-range?

2. animal_lover03

animal_lover03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    As long as they have acess to the outdoors(in a run), they are considered free range.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I've always thought of it as willy-nilly on the property, but maybe not exactly true.

Imp- technicalities

4. animal_lover03

animal_lover03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Watch this video:

5. Danigirl3

Danigirl3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Central Maine
    Thanks! can't get past 5 hens living in that little cage.................

6. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I've always thought of it as being un-caged also. I would call being out in a run "cage free" but not "free range". However I would consider them free range if they are locked in a coop at night but let out during the day, since they freely return to the coop at night anyway.

7. staceyl

staceyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    Just curiuos is there is a "minimum time" on free range. I don't like letting mine wander when I'm not there, but they generally get anywhere from 2-8 hours out every day.

8. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    I think of free range as outside the run and coop...the run is often dirt pretty quick whereas once they get out of that, it's uncut, fresh grass and bugs, etc to their hearts content. That's how all my neighbors think too.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  9. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    Mine get out for an hour first thing in the AM, then variable between 3:30 - dark weeknights. Out almost all day until dark on weekends. Restricted to the coop/run just doesn't seem "free".

Don't think there is a minimum but they sure seem happy to finish the day that way! I would always shoot for that last hour before dark if nothing else.

Wikipedia: "Free range is a method of farming husbandry where the animals are allowed to roam freely instead of being contained in any manner...."

10. 2etuaz

2etuaz New Egg

Mar 30, 2009
    Tucson AZ USA
    I am glad this came up.
    So a chicken tractor would not be a type of free rangeing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by