What is going on, help needed please?

Churkenduse

Songster
12 Years
Jan 1, 2008
Hi I just walked in on my little Polish/lakenvelder mix pullet.
She is laying age and I have been waiting. When I opend the door she was sitting on the nest that was made by another. She didn't move, she has been there for a long time. Is this what everyone is calling sitting, or setting?
If so how long will she do this before I can expect an egg.
This is so crazy I feel like an expectant grandma.
The other pullets are hanging around looking into the coop like they are waiting also. Is all this normal. Please coment.
Thank you

wee.gif
jumpy.gif
wee.gif
jumpy.gif

Sound normal to me - they like to sit in the nest for a while before producing the egg.

My girls started sitting for periods of time a week or so ago and we just started getting our first eggs this week. It's like they were checking out the nest boxes and doing a few practice runs first.

Hope you get that egg soon!!

arlee thanks so much.
Now there is another situation. I just went in to check since she came out of the coop. There was an egg! Nice and warm the only problem is she is supposed to be laying white eggs and these are brown. Her ears are white and they say those breeds lay white. Can that be?
All along I thought it was my RIR's laying.

Anyone have a thought on this?

D.gif

She was probably sitting on the RIR's egg. Mine do that all the time, especially if I am not around to collet them as they lay. They will often sit on the nest for a while b/4 laying that day, and even b/4 being ready to lay at all. Mine always 'announce' (very loudly and insistently--when we first got them we used to run out thinking they were being murdered) when they have laid which is how I tell the difference btwn those that laid and those that are just sitting around.

Back
Top Bottom