What is going on? PLEASE HELP!! Update: Early half lockdown

SarahIrl

Songster
9 Years
May 4, 2010
West Cork, Ireland
Ok, I set buff orpington eggs and silver brahma eggs due on the 17th, so day 14. All candled before setting, all developing the same at day 4 and day 7. Just checked them again today... and it's odd. The brahma eggs are noticably smaller than the orps, but have noticably much less space in them. Air sacs all seem the same proportion or there abouts. So while my orp eggs seem to have a fair bit of space, the brahmas seem to have very little left. Two are almost completely dark, with only a little fluid left under the chick. The other two brahma eggs are only just conataining more fluid. Infact, they look like my araucana eggs when I candled them end of day 17 and I locked them down the day after. What do I do? My immediate feeling is to check again tomorrow night and up the humidity from 53% where it has been stable to 60% or so, kind of halfway to lockdown humidity (I lock down at 70%) Do I turn off the auto turner and hand turn the orp eggs? Or leave it on as long as I dare? Really really don't want to lose the brahma eggs, they were a suprise, and highly prized although I had originally no plans to have any. Also, they were miracles that they survived the shocking treatment they got while being shipped, and one is 50% wax covered - see below!!

56402_p1000083.jpg

candled

56402_p1000084.jpg

NOTE: these were taken around day 8 or so

Last edited:
Oh, there is, it's on the other side, it's now full of chick. It's an old pic, from around day 8. My question is as in the post - my brahma eggs and orp eggs look different on day 14. The brahmas look like day 17 or so and the orps bang on for day 14. Shall I lock down early? Turn off the turner??

Last edited:
Arrrrgh ! Will take more pics tonight, one orp egg, one brahma. If it's even bigger than last night will be bumping up the humidity and off with the turner. Thjink the orp eggs will be ok handturned three times a day as they are very active as it is. I guess the size difference of the eggs is about half a brahma egg to an orp egg.

Right, candled again and am putting the brahma eggs in a carton, upping the humidity and leaving the turner on. It's a tray that moves under the eggs, and they are held in place by racks, so am leaving in the racks for the orps and putting the brahmas in cartons. Don't know what else I can do. Humidity is being bumped to 60% as the air sacs in the orps look fine, big enough to cope. I'll keep it at 60% untilthey all hatch. Just hope this works...

I really dont know and this has happend to me before. I would just lockdown when your supposed to or just do it a little earlier on day 18.

The brahma chicks look like they'll be out by day 18. They are in cartons, humidity bumped to 63% we'll wait and see. Orps still turning, brahmas static.

Back
Top Bottom