What is going on with my eggs?

munchkinlover

Songster
Oct 6, 2019
NW Arkansas
I have 7 laying hens that give me beautiful large eggs. 3 months ago, one of my girls hatched out 4 chicks. The original chickens started laying at the normal age but all of a sudden I find 2 unusually small eggs. The smallest being found at the end of a poop deposit, so I am sure they are chicken eggs. Could these have come from my 11-12 week old girls? Will they naturally start laying in the nesting boxes when they figure out what is going on? Here is a pic of the little eggs.

Attachments

• tiny eggs.jpg
    tiny eggs.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 17
'Fairy' or 'fart' eggs generally appear when hens are at the end or beginning of a laying cycle. Possibly one or more of your hens are about to take a break.
Thank you for the information. Being only a 1 year old chicken mama, I have never heard that. The number of eggs has dropped 1 or 2, so that is probably right. Thanks again!

Weird eggs are not uncommon both before and after molting time...or coming back in to lay after being broody.

Fairy, fart, wind, rooster eggs are usually from a tiny piece of tissue breaking loose from the reproductive tract, or an immature ova(yolk) and the body forms an egg around it. Color can be darker than 'normal' as the pigment coating released has to cover a much smaller area so is thicker. Can happen with any age layer, but more common with older layers.

I think it's explained in this excellent video, which is worth watching regardless:

Weird eggs are not uncommon both before and after molting time...or coming back in to lay after being broody.

Fairy, fart, wind, rooster eggs are usually from a tiny piece of tissue breaking loose from the reproductive tract, or an immature ova(yolk) and the body forms an egg around it. Color can be darker than 'normal' as the pigment coating released has to cover a much smaller area so is thicker. Can happen with any age layer, but more common with older layers.

I think it's explained in this excellent video, which is worth watching regardless:
Excellent video!

Wow great video ! Thx for posting!!!

Back
Top Bottom