What is going on

dnomla

Chirping
Oct 19, 2013
I have 5 mixed hens. I added 2 silkie hens in may. In July I added 6 more hens. I introduced them everyday separated by a fence for a couple weeks before adding them to the coup. They get along except for the usual pecking order going on. the coup is large enough for 14 chickens. since adding the last 6, my comet has been egg bound. Giving her baths every couple of days for weeks. She now doesn't needs baths but is still not laying. She also drinks a lot. my other chickens have stopped laying. the last couple of mornings I have found egg with no shell in one nest and an eggshell in another nest. The get plenty of water. they are fed 16% layer crumbles, plus dried oat flakes, tomatoes and other snacks. they are in the fenced yard all day. when I come home from work, I let them free range for a couple hours till bedtime. Not sure if this is stress or what but I am starting to get concerned.
Thanks for any help;
Terri

Could you have introduced pests or diseases with the additions?
How old is the comet and hoe long have you had her?

Also what is your climate?
Adding your location to your profile can sometimes help folks give better answers/suggestions.

No pests or disease we keep them separate for 12 weeks and she went missing yesterday. We don't know if a predator got her or if she went off and died. We looked and can't find her. Thanks anyway

Back
Top Bottom