what is going on??

agnes_day

Songster
11 Years
Aug 29, 2008
oklahoma
well, my 2 girls and rooster that were almost of age have died and are in the process of dying..this exact thing happened to my chickens last year that were the same age! its always the same..they get really gassy smelling, listless and wanting to be alone, then they get horrible diarrhea and then die. ive given them antibiotics and isolated them, kept them warm but they still die. what could be causing this??

also, my husband wanted to know if its from using non medicated feed for them.
hit.gif
i am so ready to sell them all and give up on having chickens since i am obviously doing something wrong!!

what are their living situations? inside or out?
What are they eating? They getting grit?
Do they have blood in their stools?

What's their stools like?
How's the appetite?
Have you treated them for coccidiosis?
Have they been wormed?
Are they laying? Last time they layed?

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/PS044

I
didn't get to look through it for you, but try this link to see if you see a condition that sounds like yours. Maybe that will help.

Don't give up. Just get to the bottom of it.

So sorry for your frustration and loss.

Beth
hugs.gif

Oh, and i would suggest changing the title of your post to reflect the condition. Some will just overlook your post because it's not specific. You want to attract the most attention from the experienced owners so you can find the right answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sorry you are getting discouraged. More information would help us answer you and have an idea how to help. First...the medicated food which is chick starter should be stopped by 10 weeks of age. They can then go on an all-in-one or grower that is lower protein. Once they begin laying then they can go to layer feed. Now...will the medicated feed kill them? It should not but it is too much protein for them if they are reaching laying age.

Quote:
These questions being answered would be a big help. When you say "gassy smelling" are you referring to their breath, their bodies or their stool?

I would also ask what treats they get, how much and how often? Also, what do they access to? Botulism can be a problem if they are getting into compost piles and such or getting several day old scraps of sorts.

Do not worry that you are causing this...first figure out what the problem is and then it can be corrected or prevented.
hugs.gif
Hang in there.

Sounds like coccidiosis. They need antibiotics in their water NOW.

Do other birds (sparrows, doves. etc... ) get into their coop or run? They can sometimes carry the disease.

If they all die, I'd do a real good cleaning of both coop and run with clorox and then oxine.

they live in their coop..well, sleep in it anyways. they eat fine, i feed them in the morning, give them a snack around noon and then they eat again at night..they also eat all the bugs and things that they find around the yard.
they have never had medicated feed because of the duck..its just odd that its only when they hit 5 months that this happens.
i am getting ready to go scrub it out really good with some bleach water.

i put terramycin in their water..is that the correct type?
is there any reason though, it seems to have got them at the same age as the others or is it a coincidence?

If it is Cocci, you need amprolium. The brand name is Corid, and there are a couple others. It is usually marketed for cattle, but it is the same product. I got mine from the feed store for about $25. You mix the liquid form with their water for 5 days.

I'm not an expert, but i'm not convinced from your description, that this is Cocci. But i'm told by those who know so MUCH more than i know - that it won't hurt to give them a round of the medication.

If it's not Cocci, or if this flock also dies, i would really really suggest getting a necropsy to find out what it really is so you can have success with future birds.

Don't give up.

I've heard about chickens of many ages getting cocci - on this forum. I hope that's all it is and that it's a coincidence.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom