What is happening to my eggs?

kraftykrow

Songster
Apr 24, 2019
Indiana, USA
Hi again. I'm still new to chickens. I have 3. Hennessy, Henocide, and Murder Parade. They're all laying now. Ok in go the issues... buckle up I tend to ramble.

Hennessy started laying first and didnt lay in the nesting box until I was able to catch her about to lay and put her in the box. Didnt have anymore outside of it, great. Next Murder Parade started, that was maybe 3 weeks ago. All beautiful big brown eggs always in the box. Henocide finally stated to lay, and the first two were fine and in the nesting box [there are two but they only use the same one]. Then suddenly I find an egg on the coop floor that is soft but not broken. Weird... It almost seemed like it just fell out of her in the middle of the night when she was roosting.

Move to the next day only two eggs. They still look perfect though. Next day (yesterday) normal two eggs and one soft one that has broken open in the box with them. Now I start worrying someone is going to get a taste of these mushy eggs and start eating them... i thought this must be Henocide since the other two had perfect track records before.

Later yesterday afternoon, my father came over to help build chicken swings. Then I turn around and Murder Parade has laid an unfinished egg, at 8 pm, with a barely translucent shell on it and it breaks. It's right in front of the run entrance. One of the others is looking at it, possibly about to peck it before I grabbed it. This morning I found another soft, see through egg on the coop floor!

What is happening? Everything was perfect until the last one started laying. Nothing in their diet as changed. Their behavior is the same. Plenty of water and activity. Now all this mess! The only other factor is it has been hot out. Could that be a problem? I've started freezing milk jugs and such to cool them and feed them some frozen treats... hopefully it helps. I have no way of getting a fan out to them. Any advice or help at all is appreciated.

Sorry for the chapter book, thanks if you read this far <3

It's partially the heat and partially that they're working out the kinks. My hens will eat an egg that's broken open, but they're not interested in the ones that are whole and firm. I think it's because they look completely different, and chickens are smart--for birds--but they aren't great at making connections.

If you can rig a sprinkler system so that they can stand under the mist or get their feet on wet ground, that can help with heat.

The only other factor is it has been hot out.
Yeah the heat can slow down egg production in hens.
In pullets at their prime for egg production continue to lay, but can be malformed.
Nicely formed eggs with hard shells need lots of minerals, like calcium, magnesium, manganese, zinc and copper. As well as vitamin D and Protein. All these are in a Poultry feed for Layers. An All-Flock/Flock Raiser will be lacking Calcium, but contains all the other nutrients.
The problem is when it's hot they eat less feed. So are lacking enough nutrients to produce hard shelled eggs daily.
On top of all that we offer them treats. That contributes to the problem.
Last summer my Golden Comets (2 1/2 years old at the time) egg production dropped off during the summer to less than half of usual. Their consumption of feed dropped drastically too.
My solution was to wet their feed. I made them a very wet feed with cold water from the fridge. I measured out a quarter cup of dry feed for my 3 hens. Made very wet stirred and served immediately. 20180705_135526.jpg . They loved it and the cold water cooled them. Egg production came back up in less than a week.
Also offer them Oyster Shells in a separate container. Limit other treats. If they finish it up quickly make a little more next time. Offer daily during the heat of summer. I made it for my girls early in the afternoon.
Wish you the best. GC

Sorry for the chapter book, thanks if you read this far <3
At least you used paragraphs(chapters) :highfive:

What all and how exactly are you feeding?
Are you adding ACV to water, because that can inhibit calcium uptake.

Am betting tho that this is just start up glitches...and the heat doesn't help.

This is what I do to deal with the heat, it is the best solution I've found after 5 years.
I give a dose of Sav-a-Chick electrolytes/vitamins about once a week during heat waves.
It really seems to help....started this after they saved a heat stroked hen once.
Can mix up a smaller amount, just wrap the packet tight and store in a dry cool place. Always have plain water available too.
full

BIG(9x14x2") chunks of ice last all day for wading, sitting, and sipping.
full

Make space in your freezer!
full

Thank you everyone for all the tips! I'm going to incorporate anything suggested that I wasn't already doing. Yesterday we had two eggs by end of day. Only one so far today but it is very early. My wife thought about getting solar powered fans to hook on the enclosure (if we can find such a thing). I have some frozen jugs for today if it gets too hot. I've been replacing their water daily while it's been hot. I think they appreciate it to a degree, but they seemed unhappy that I didn't leave the grass clippings from mowing the lawn....

They loved the frozen strawberries. Made a lovely mess for me to clean up but they're worth it. Bonus picture of Murder Parade on the one of the new swings. I put her on it though, they've not hopped up yet on the own.

Thank you again everyone! Fingers crossed by days end I'll have 3 good eggs!

Attachments

• 20190629_211341.jpg
    20190629_211341.jpg
    564.3 KB · Views: 4
Yeah the heat can slow down egg production in hens.
In pullets at their prime for egg production continue to lay, but can be malformed.
Nicely formed eggs with hard shells need lots of minerals, like calcium, magnesium, manganese, zinc and copper. As well as vitamin D and Protein. All these are in a Poultry feed for Layers. An All-Flock/Flock Raiser will be lacking Calcium, but contains all the other nutrients.
The problem is when it's hot they eat less feed. So are lacking enough nutrients to produce hard shelled eggs daily.
On top of all that we offer them treats. That contributes to the problem.
Last summer my Golden Comets (2 1/2 years old at the time) egg production dropped off during the summer to less than half of usual. Their consumption of feed dropped drastically too.
My solution was to wet their feed. I made them a very wet feed with cold water from the fridge. I measured out a quarter cup of dry feed for my 3 hens. Made very wet stirred and served immediately.View attachment 1830447. They loved it and the cold water cooled them. Egg production came back up in less than a week.
Also offer them Oyster Shells in a separate container. Limit other treats. If they finish it up quickly make a little more next time. Offer daily during the heat of summer. I made it for my girls early in the afternoon.
Wish you the best. GC
Such pretty birbs!

Back
Top Bottom