What is he doing? (speed bump duck)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TeamChaos, Jul 22, 2011.

1. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    The past week or so, our little black runner duck has developed a new habit. He races along side a person's legs and attempts to zig zag between their steps. So far my daughter and I have walked slowly to avoid flattening the little guy, but today he shot between my feet while I was carrying a big bucket (So I didn't see him) and he got booted a short way. When I stop walking and crouch down to pay attention to him, he wants his back and chest petted and he talks a lot, sometimes nibbling on an arm or leg. Is he in looooooove with us or just wanting attention?

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

My Cayuga drake has always done that with me. I know he loves me, I am just not sure how much......
    [​IMG]

He loves attention, and he nibbles me all the time. Some times I had duck hickies on my forearms from a good, long nibble session. I had to teach him not to do that.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Duck-ie's in love![​IMG]

4. Meighan7989

Meighan7989 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2011
    NE Pennsylvania
    i think hes just loving you [​IMG] . thats so cute

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG]

6. Stormy Autumn

Stormy Autumn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Florida
    My runner drake does the same exact thing, even the part about wanting his back petted. I feel bad because I've even stepped on his feet a couple of times by accident... but he doesn't care! Nothing stops him. It helps if you carry a stick around with you (like a walking stick or a broom or a pool skimmer). You should give it a try. It's like drake repellant.

7. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    My Magpie drake has taken to nibbling on me too! Thought it was cute at first. Now he doesn't get to do that. Ouch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by