What is he Easter egg

Chicona

Chirping
May 22, 2022
My cock is big ,beautiful,stands up tall, all the ladies can’t stop looking
Haha who called them cockerels the puns chase me allover
The 4yr old runs in screaming jakes got his cock out in the garden..momenteroily I filled with anger before I realise the bird is out he’s got his bird out . What a name cock pfft haha
And recurrent questions of “how’s ya cock” from the neighbors tho lol
All my ladies but 1 have accepted him the leader of my hens is playing hard to get and he’s trying to win her he’s so placid he won’t challenge her directly they dance every now and then but he backs down and gives her treats
My girls are rhode red and he’s double the size of them but it’s mostly feathers when you grab him he’s similar size haha he is double height of them tho he’s all leg and neck

Never the less I want to know his breed as my friend offered me an Indian game to cross him with hoping to get a nice meat broiler cross like the Cornish crosses from Sussex crosss Indian game

I can see about 8 breeds he could be a mix of from favorelle to dorking to even some Sussex crosses
There are pics like him online but all seem to be without breed names he seems a show bird they want to use for pics only my guess is he’s so placid and shy he kept his details from publication lol

Closest I find is people say he must just be an Easter egg chicken . What the hell is that though if he is lol

Attachments

• 98586A5A-3E33-4080-8043-3160E6E16E99.jpeg
    98586A5A-3E33-4080-8043-3160E6E16E99.jpeg
    532.6 KB · Views: 19
  • EB649857-43C8-4A97-9A72-159AD363B956.jpeg
    EB649857-43C8-4A97-9A72-159AD363B956.jpeg
    223.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
My best guess is "red laced blue wyandotte" in there, though it may be mixed with something else.
“Easter Eggers” are mixed-breed chickens that have been crossed at some point with Araucanas or Ameraucanas. This means that the body type, comb, and other features will often resemble those of one of these breeds, but the egg color and feather color/pattern can vary widely.

Last edited:
The color/pattern is Blue-Laced Red, which is commonly found in Wyandottes.

Wyandottes are *supposed to* have rose combs, but sometimes have single combs -- especially in hatchery-quality birds.

I'm not an expert, but I don't see anything about his confirmation and characteristics that don't line up with the idea of him being a Blue-Laced Red Wyandotte other than the single comb:

1653223968817.jpeg

(I happen to have found out about single-combs cropping up in rose-combed breeds in connection with a possible project of mine. Apparently rose combs are linked to a decline in fertility over generations so breeders keep a few single combs in the mix to improve the fertility of their birds).

The color/pattern is Blue-Laced Red, which is commonly found in Wyandottes.

Wyandottes are *supposed to* have rose combs, but sometimes have single combs -- especially in hatchery-quality birds.

I'm not an expert, but I don't see anything about his confirmation and characteristics that don't line up with the idea of him being a Blue-Laced Red Wyandotte other than the single comb:

View attachment 3118368

(I happen to have found out about single-combs cropping up in rose-combed breeds in connection with a possible project of mine. Apparently rose combs are linked to a decline in fertility over generations so breeders keep a few single combs in the mix to improve the fertility of their birds).
The salmon favorelle seems to display similar patterns and also has the single comb
Could it be he’s a red laced Wyandotte crossed with favorelle ?

The salmon favorelle seems to display similar patterns and also has the single comb
Could it be he’s a red laced Wyandotte crossed with favorelle ?
I see no Salmon Faverolles at all. If first generation mix with Faverolles he would have white skin and would very likely have a beard or some feathered legs or five toes. He has no Faverolles traits. He is definitely not bearded either. Bearding inhibits wattle growth and with wattles that large, there isn't even a chance he's bearded. :)

I see no Salmon Faverolles at all. If first generation mix with Faverolles he would have white skin and would very likely have a beard or some feathered legs or five toes. He has no Faverolles traits. He is definitely not bearded either. Bearding inhibits wattle growth and with wattles that large, there isn't even a chance he's bearded. :)
I’ll trust ya as I haven’t a clue just so many to look at wild guesses here not educated lol
Here’s his pic anyway when he was at the rescue he had no feathers on his eyes or chin but since two weeks with ladies he has started growing these penguin eyebrows and a goatee lol
Black spots on his legs too made me wonder
The hair on his red chins new growth he didn’t have lol

Attachments

• CC242CA6-A911-40E0-96EA-9526AA705A1A.jpeg
    CC242CA6-A911-40E0-96EA-9526AA705A1A.jpeg
    211.2 KB · Views: 9
  • F6E96638-8800-4BA6-8967-79B83E2D7C23.jpeg
    F6E96638-8800-4BA6-8967-79B83E2D7C23.jpeg
    337 KB · Views: 8
  • 5E272796-A51A-4592-8FFC-944E34C2D471.jpeg
    5E272796-A51A-4592-8FFC-944E34C2D471.jpeg
    304.8 KB · Views: 7
I’ll trust ya as I haven’t a clue just so many to look at wild guesses here not educated lol
Here’s his pic anyway when he was at the rescue he had no feathers on his eyes or chin but since two weeks with ladies he has started growing these penguin eyebrows and a goatee lol
Black spots on his legs too made me wonder
The hair on his red chins new growth he didn’t have lol
Those are just facial feathers, no bearding. :) If he's a first generation mix, it was with a yellow-skinned breed. Perhaps a RIR would be a possibility along with Wyandotte. You won't be able to narrow it down however, there are too many possibilities. :)

Back
Top Bottom