what is.... he? (pic heavy)

dan_grow

Chirping
9 Years
May 21, 2010
st. Louis
order this chick from Mcmurray as an exotic chick and a few weeks ago i was told that this was a black sex link because of the browning on its wing and its over all dark coloration from a fellow BYCer but as it grew its comb its comb started to become rather large and red (bigger then my orpington's which are about 6-7 weeks old while this one is about 4ish weeks) and the brown feathers are starting to turn white on its chest while on its back the brown becomes lighter slower
58223_image_074.jpg

^can you see the white feathers?
58223_image_077.jpg

58223_image_079.jpg

^this is a good pic of the combs size its bigger then some of the Cornish X i got with em
58223_wing.jpg

^ this was the pic used to determine that it was a BLS pullet
58223_img_0007.jpg

Last edited:
im not that very good at telling breeds this early age an it looks like nothing i've seen in the Mcmurry catalog

Perhaps a poor quality Cuckoo Marans or a poor quality Partridge Rock... but most certainly, a roo.

Amazing how much it changed.

Mahonri
they only ship cuckoo Marans and partridge rocks between feb- july and he came during October but if he was one of these i would be beyond pleased with Mcmurray.

yes but this guy doesn't resemble anything from Mcmurray and was mistaken for a black sex link pullet. so i thought he could be a mutation of some kind also if you look closely at his chest in the first and second pic you can see that he is developing some white feathering so i also thought he could have late development of barring. also i thought that just maybe in this community that some one could have an example of a chicken that developed this weird way.

If a bird is barred, you'll see a white or yellow dot on its head. If it isn't, you won't see the dot.
wink.png

It is likely a mutt or a brown-red variety of some breed I cannot think of right now. The only true color that starts black then gets some color are brown-reds. (also known as black copper)

thank you illia i guess Mcmurry messed up when they gave me this chick (ill post more pics of it when its older just to show what it looks like when its older)

Back
Top Bottom