what is.... he? (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dan_grow, Nov 26, 2010.

1. dan_grow

dan_grow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    st. Louis
    order this chick from Mcmurray as an exotic chick and a few weeks ago i was told that this was a black sex link because of the browning on its wing and its over all dark coloration from a fellow BYCer but as it grew its comb its comb started to become rather large and red (bigger then my orpington's which are about 6-7 weeks old while this one is about 4ish weeks) and the brown feathers are starting to turn white on its chest while on its back the brown becomes lighter slower
    [​IMG]
    ^can you see the white feathers?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ^this is a good pic of the combs size its bigger then some of the Cornish X i got with em
    [​IMG]
    ^ this was the pic used to determine that it was a BLS pullet
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Well, it's a boy, and not a sex-link. Beyond that I'm not too good with babies [​IMG]

3. dan_grow

May 21, 2010
    st. Louis
    im not that very good at telling breeds this early age an it looks like nothing i've seen in the Mcmurry catalog

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Perhaps a poor quality Cuckoo Marans or a poor quality Partridge Rock... but most certainly, a roo.

Amazing how much it changed.

5. dan_grow

May 21, 2010
    st. Louis
    Mahonri
    they only ship cuckoo Marans and partridge rocks between feb- july and he came during October but if he was one of these i would be beyond pleased with Mcmurray.

6. dan_grow

May 21, 2010
    st. Louis
    no more ideas? do black sex link roos develop in this weird color shift

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Black Sex Link cockerels are barred [​IMG]

8. dan_grow

May 21, 2010
    st. Louis
    yes but this guy doesn't resemble anything from Mcmurray and was mistaken for a black sex link pullet. so i thought he could be a mutation of some kind also if you look closely at his chest in the first and second pic you can see that he is developing some white feathering so i also thought he could have late development of barring. also i thought that just maybe in this community that some one could have an example of a chicken that developed this weird way.

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    If a bird is barred, you'll see a white or yellow dot on its head. If it isn't, you won't see the dot. [​IMG]

It is likely a mutt or a brown-red variety of some breed I cannot think of right now. The only true color that starts black then gets some color are brown-reds. (also known as black copper)

10. dan_grow

May 21, 2010
    st. Louis
    thank you illia i guess Mcmurry messed up when they gave me this chick (ill post more pics of it when its older just to show what it looks like when its older)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by