1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is he?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Asmorilda, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Asmorilda

Asmorilda Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2015
    Here he is, my gorgeous boy but I don't know what he is. When we got him, he was tiny & so pecked up, we couldn't tell what he was. He has grown into a regal, beautiful bird but we still don't know his breed. Can anyone here tell me?

[​IMG]

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    This is just a guess, but could he perhaps be a silver gray dorking? I don't think they have color in the wing bow like yours does though, they usually have white. Is he definitely purebred or could he be a mix?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  3. Asmorilda

Oct 7, 2015
    He very well could be a mix. The farmer we got him from had all sorts of chickens running around loose. He had a lot of what he called game birds too but he didn't seem to know exactly what he had. He called everything a game bird. I have done some more looking & came across the Salmon Faverolle rooster which seems to have a close color pattern to my pretty boy.

4. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

He wouldn't be a fav though because favs have five toes, feathered legs, and muffs. Maybe he's a game breed, I'm not very familiar with those. Whatever he is he's very pretty :)

5. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Dorkings are a 5 toed breed as well as Faverolles. I suspect neither is in his background.

He looks like a game breed or game mix.

6. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

Thanks, I forgot about that :)

7. Asmorilda

Oct 7, 2015
    Thank you.

8. Asmorilda

Oct 7, 2015
    Guess I better check out some of the game breeds. Thank you for your input.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by