What is in your nest boxes?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
Most here I can imagine would like to say EGGS! And loads of them ;) What I'm thinking about though is nesting materials. Just out of curiosity, what do you all use to cushion the nests? Grass, straw, sand?

I get a sort of excelsior bonded to brown paper cut into squares that fit a conventional nesting box. They do a fine job of cushioning the eggs. I hope they cushion the girls too. ...at least they're not complaining. :thumbsup The excelsior stays in the box because of the attachment to the paper. In time they get thin where the girls sit so I plop another pad on top. They hold up very well but when they're done for they just go in the compost.

Last edited:
It depends what I have available at the time of cleaning. But what I really like (and the girls do too) is a nice thick layer of pine shavings with straw on top for them to form the nest.

I use wood chips on the floor of the coop, but the girls really like the nice soft rice straw I use in their nests. They like to "arrange" it and sometimes they even steal a bit from the nest box next door! Wood chips in the boxes were mostly thrown out and eggs would be on the bare wood. Straw works best for us! :lol:

Most here I can imagine would like to say EGGS! And loads of them ;) What I'm thinking about though is nesting materials. Just out of curiosity, what do you all use to cushion the nests? Grass, straw, sand?
I use horse bedding style wood shavings

I use shavings, or hay, or straw, and my hens are happy to rearrange any of it out of the boxes. Under it I've got folded feed bags, which are easy to replace when dirty.
I do think that hay works best as a topping.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom