1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is it about the Silver Seabright difficult to hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bigoledude, Jan 29, 2011.

1. bigoledude

bigoledude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    SE, Louisiana
    I am gathering my components to build what I am hoping will be a first-class incubator. I've always loved the little Silver and the Gold Seabrights. I was disappointed to hear that they are tough to hatch.

What makes them hard to hatch? Is it poor fertilization, thin shells, or what?

Is there any way to get around this or, to improve the odds?

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I do not know the answer sorry, but will give you a bump and maybe someone who does will see this. [​IMG]

3. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    i have a pair of silvers, and want to know the answer as well...

in for info...
    [​IMG]

4. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    Rose combed breeds usually dont have the best fertility, so thats probably the problem.

5. kickinchicken

kickinchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    A little Spanish Fly and a romantic dinner might help! I have a golden sebright sitting on a cochin egg right now. She was the last to start laying and the first to go broody. She has no idea that she wasn't supposed to do that. She's picking up those broody habits from the cochins.
    From what I know, sebrights "rarely" go broody and are "poor" layers. Um....she didn't get that memo! Gotta get a sebright roo at some point.

6. 8ROYALS

8ROYALS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Petersburg, Texas
    I did incubate a sebright/ cochin cross. The chick is 3 month old, but looks more cochin then sebright.

7. Winggedheart

Winggedheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2010
    Ringgold
    I heard it was poor fertility, also.

Interested to learn more though..

8. bigoledude

bigoledude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    SE, Louisiana
    C'mon, is anyone hatching Seabrights successfully? Is there some special conditions needed in the incubator? Do certain bloodlines perform better than others?

9. ginormous chicken

ginormous chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2011
    Elverta, California
    I have one coming from mypetchicken in April. I bought the pullet specifically because well... it was beautiful looking... but really the post on mypetchicken stated that they were really hard not only to hatch but to rear as a chick because they are so small. I am totally worried the poor pullet is going to get trampled to death in transit to the house.

I am interested if people have info. on breeding.

10. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by