What is it? God only knows!! UPDATE on PG 10

kryptoniteqhs

Rosecomb Rich
12 Years
Nov 14, 2008
Norco, CA
I think I may have a two legged, taking my birds. Its the only thing that makes sense. When my birds disappear there is no sign of a struggle and they just vanish. No feathers, no bodies, nothing. All 3 of my SL Cochin Bantams disappeared at the same time the other day. What is going on? I dont know anyone who has a coop set-up that could even house birds if they wanted to near me. And if they were eating them theyd either take the meatiest one or the loudest (if it was getting on their nerves). The took my prettiest and quietest ones and smallest. Also if it was a human, Id think they would go missing when in their coop as well. But, they only go missing when they are free ranging.
hit.gif

ETA: I put a dead roo in the trap last night and put some scrambled eggs on top of it....and NOTHING this morning! Im gonna try it again tonight and if it doesnt work Im going to put some live feeder mice in a cage inside of the trap.

Last edited:
Get a great pyrenese livestock guardian dog or two! I have two, a male and female. They are the best dogs in the universe! They adore their charges, hae the lowest kill percentage of any other LGD (livestock guardian dog) and biting is always the LAST resort with a well bred Pyr. We had a neighbor coming out at night, cuttig fences, letting goats out, beating animals, etc etc. We shipped in a beautiful female, only 6 months old and one night later the jerks came back not kowing we had a new dog who didn't know them and was from exceptional lines. (these people used to be friends until one assaulted me and our first dog knew them from a pup, so allowed them to hurt him) anyhow, lets just say we saw very solid evidence she took them by suprise, they kicked her and gave her an owie on her thigh, she retaliated and they haven't been back for almost a month now
smile.png
It costs roghly $500 to feed a pyr for a year but the money they save us in keeping theifs and coyotes away is priceless
smile.png

How many have you lost? Are you keeping a journal? Date and time that you discover they were gone. Where they free-ranging ever time. If it is a fox, you may not see signs if they are free-ranging. When I had a fox, she killed and carried them back to her den.

If it is only one or two, are you sure they are not hold up some where on eggs? I have a little hen that I found under a cabinet on 14 eggs. This past Friday, she went missing, then she showed up Saturday night and now she is gone again. I know she is in the barn (most likely in the hay) on eggs. I just can not find her.

Good Luck!

P.S. I would love to get a Great Pyrenese.

coyotes or any dogs will take the bird whole, no signs of struggle just POOF, gone. We had coyotes take ducks and not leave one single feather.

Due to the fact it happens when they are free ranging, I dont think it is a human. A big enough bird of prey can swoop in and take away with out even stopping. A four legged one will do the same, take it away, eat only what it wants, and come back for seconds and thirds, all in one day, if they are hungry enough.

If you have dogs, its time to walk your property and watch them for interest and reactions, let them lead you. go where they want, and they may lead you to something you would never find on your own. either the corpses, or the den of the culprit! Then you will know what you are dealing with.

Do you have snow? tracks can tell you a lot. Take a camera, and some trash bags when you go.

Good Luck.

thanks guys....ive been dying to get a Great Pyrenese!! I only want one dog tho, and cant get rid of the one I have lol.....He gets so excited tho, I dont know if hed be much of a tracker lol....I tried it with him last time. He also likes to chase the chickens, not hurt them, but play and sometimes get them soaking wet and scared half to death. So hes not a good Chicken Guardian IMO lol.....I will try it with him today and Ill let him loose this time. My other one, same thing, went missing no sign of anything. Its just wierd to me that all of my Banty Cochins went missing and out of the 9 others, nobody else. Also, right after my Red Sexlink went missing 2 months ago? my Delaware hen went missing a few days later, we found her a few days after with a gaping whole in her back. I took her home, fed her oatmeal, she ate some, constantly drank water, I put her on antibiotics thought she was looking up and then she had a siezure a few hours later and died.

2evcjgz.jpg

2pypdv6.jpg

Back
Top Bottom