What is it with Chickens & Styrofoam??(rant)

My cabin is raised and spray foam insulated underneath. The chickens hang out underneath the cabin sometimes — bug feast, dust baths, shelter from rain, etc — but I think you see where this is going. One of the girls discovered the spray foam above her head today. It's very styrofoam-like. I'm new to chickens and never imagined they would peck up.:barnieIf this continues, I'm going to have to block access, which is going to be an annoying project. :th
You might want to start now on that project. It will only get worse from here on.

My cabin is raised and spray foam insulated underneath. The chickens hang out underneath the cabin sometimes — bug feast, dust baths, shelter from rain, etc — but I think you see where this is going. One of the girls discovered the spray foam above her head today. It's very styrofoam-like. I'm new to chickens and never imagined they would peck up.:barnieIf this continues, I'm going to have to block access, which is going to be an annoying project. :th
Once they find it...... they tell everyone else.

They won't quit. Make it inaccessible to them, then a month later leave a space open. Guaranteed they'll be picking at it.

@lysmandor @HumbleAmerican @STACEYH
Unfortunately, we just had a big snowstorm so it isn't a simple matter. It's also complicated by the fact that I need access under there in the summers. And the spray foam isn't finished — it's sufficient to keep me warm enough for now but the contractor couldn't make it back due to deep mud and then snow so he'll be finishing next summer. So whatever I do will have to be ripped apart come summer. I've got ideas but just... Freaking pain in the #$& chickens! :he

They sell bird netting that would be inexpensive and effective at keeping them at bay. Staple to bottom of house, use wood or tent stakes to anchor the bottom.
That's a great cheap option, thanks! 👍 The ground is frozen for the season now so I'll have to weight it down or something instead.

Back
Top Bottom