What is it?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Joev1973, Aug 24, 2019.

1. TooCheep

TooCheep Songster

Feb 23, 2019
    Indiana
    Possums can be potentially dangerous, but are far from the worst predators to deal with. Just keep your birds well protected at night and they aren't much of a problem. Possums are actually beneficial in the environment as they eat thousands of ticks/year.

imnukensc, ShannonR and sealer39 like this.
  2. sealer39

sealer39 Crowing

Aug 3, 2013
    Pineville, Louisiana
    Well, I don’t know what kind of possums y’all have in your state but in Louisiana they are vicious. Here they are just as bad or worse than raccoons.

Joev1973, WthrLady and Texas Kiki like this.
  3. Joev1973

Joev1973 Songster

The coop is fort knox. Nothings getting in. The pen is another story but we put the birds away every evening and let them out every morning.

Have bigger things to worry about than a possum. Several fox showed up on cam also. So far no trouble except from hawks.

4. Punkybrewster

Punkybrewster Songster

Feb 23, 2018
    Upstate sc
    I would rather have opossum than a fisher. A fisher would get in and destroy everything. Even a fort nox coop. They are ruthless.

Joev1973, WthrLady, sorce and 2 others like this.
  5. CalBickieMomma

CalBickieMomma Songster

We get possums all the time and I’ve never had problems with them. Then again, my coop/run is well secured and we do have dogs who keep them at bay. They typically come to eat the cat food out front ;).

6. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Partially Enlightened

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Same for the Texas ones.
    Nasty things.

Joev1973 likes this.
  7. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Everyone is wrong. It is a Virginia Opossum. Just kidding unless you are from south of US border with other similar opossum species. Those little dudes and dudets are a pain in the butt. Big ones are fairly easy to keep out, but the young ones, man they are as bad as snakes when it comes to getting into pens and eating eggs. At night half grown and better opossums can be very hard on roosting adults, especially hens roosting low on eggs or with chicks.

I have taken to culling them as they can also put a dent in your feed.

sealer39 and Texas Kiki like this.
  8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    If they get cornered/threatened they can be vicious and they have wicked, curved, flesh ripping lower canines.

Texas Kiki and Wolfefarmyard like this.
  9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Possum... I had a possum several years ago kill a bird. I left the bird as bait and it came back and I caught it. I see them occasionally on one of my cameras. This one was getting into my barn and getting the rat bait. It tore open the rat bait boxes. After some research I found out they have an immunity to rat bait. I was wondering why whole chunks would be missing. Now I have the bait boxes where the possums can't get to them.
    DSCF00051012 01.jpg

Joev1973 and BigBlueHen53 like this.
  10. ShannonR

ShannonR Crowing

Sep 17, 2015
    There is a possum that lives (I think) under the next door neighbor's house. I was sitting on my porch last night, heard some loud rustling and sure enough, out comes Mr. Possum. I yelled at him, but he really doesn't do any harm (so far).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: