What is it?

Possums can be potentially dangerous, but are far from the worst predators to deal with. Just keep your birds well protected at night and they aren't much of a problem. Possums are actually beneficial in the environment as they eat thousands of ticks/year.

Everyone is wrong. It is a Virginia Opossum. Just kidding unless you are from south of US border with other similar opossum species. Those little dudes and dudets are a pain in the butt. Big ones are fairly easy to keep out, but the young ones, man they are as bad as snakes when it comes to getting into pens and eating eggs. At night half grown and better opossums can be very hard on roosting adults, especially hens roosting low on eggs or with chicks.

I have taken to culling them as they can also put a dent in your feed.

Well, I don’t know what kind of possums y’all have in your state but in Louisiana they are vicious. Here they are just as bad or worse than raccoons.

Same for the Texas ones.
Nasty things.
If they get cornered/threatened they can be vicious and they have wicked, curved, flesh ripping lower canines.

Possum... I had a possum several years ago kill a bird. I left the bird as bait and it came back and I caught it. I see them occasionally on one of my cameras. This one was getting into my barn and getting the rat bait. It tore open the rat bait boxes. After some research I found out they have an immunity to rat bait. I was wondering why whole chunks would be missing. Now I have the bait boxes where the possums can't get to them.
DSCF00051012 01.jpg

There is a possum that lives (I think) under the next door neighbor's house. I was sitting on my porch last night, heard some loud rustling and sure enough, out comes Mr. Possum. I yelled at him, but he really doesn't do any harm (so far).

Back
Top Bottom