What is it?

wendy2012

Chirping
Apr 20, 2020
so I've seen like 1 or 2 of these very tiny long insects on coop door....twice found 1 or 2 on poo tray of chickens....it's body is long and the color like a light gray color, kinda see through....i squish them and no blood pops out ever and they don't jump....dunno if they coming from grass crawling up to plastic coop....i checked hens and dont see any of these of them...sprinkled some pemethrine powder on door of coop where i saw 2....I couldn't even get a clear close up pic since they are tiny and camera makes it look like a black speck but it's really more light grey....should I be concerned??? I also got hay in egg area maybe from hey? So far seen pics of all kinds of bugs on chickens and don't think it's fleas (no jumping)or mites (no blood) or lice (bug not light brown)....anyone know what could it be?

When you described it, my first thought was a pest called silverfish. These can be found in damp areas like basements, bath tubs, etc. They need moisture to survive and they live in damp wood but eat mainly proteins.

so I've seen like 1 or 2 of these very tiny long insects on coop door....twice found 1 or 2 on poo tray of chickens....it's body is long and the color like a light gray color, kinda see through....i squish them and no blood pops out ever and they don't jump....dunno if they coming from grass crawling up to plastic coop....i checked hens and dont see any of these of them...sprinkled some pemethrine powder on door of coop where i saw 2....I couldn't even get a clear close up pic since they are tiny and camera makes it look like a black speck but it's really more light grey....should I be concerned??? I also got hay in egg area maybe from hey? So far seen pics of all kinds of bugs on chickens and don't think it's fleas (no jumping)or mites (no blood) or lice (bug not light brown)....anyone know what could it be?
I do see on it's long body 2 antennas

I see them on coop door sometimes dropping tray. Inside of coop looks dry. We do have 50% humidity. Can silverfish be tiny? I saw 1 this morning again.

Silverfish are tiny, they also move like a fish tail... they look like they move forward but by moving their body from side to side. They can be 0.5in-1.0in long (this includes the antenna).

Got a pic!
20200821_193505.jpg
20200821_193511.jpg

Back
Top Bottom