What is it?

You can believe what you will but I will let you know that every bird you named in your post are cross breds. You can candy coat a name by calling it a Hybrid but it it still a cross bred.
Anybody can call a cross bred chicken a Hybrid but it will not make it anymore a breed,

Chris
i'm working on silkied d'uccle by using silkies and d'uccles what should i call them lol silkied d'uccle or a hybred (cross-breed) d'uccle....i want the silkied feathers but the look of the d'uccles (should i keep the black skin or go for the light skin of the d'uccles...i have one mixed pullet outside that i really like the look of with her black comb and it is a single comb)

i'm working on silkied d'uccle by using silkies and d'uccles what should i call them lol silkied d'uccle or a hybred (cross-breed) d'uccle....i want the silkied feathers but the look of the d'uccles (should i keep the black skin or go for the light skin of the d'uccles...i have one mixed pullet outside that i really like the look of with her black comb and it is a single comb)
When they breed true then there a breed an then you could call the a "silked d'Uccle.
wink.png

When they breed true then there a breed an then you could call the a "silked d'Uccle.
wink.png
it will take some time but i can't wait for them to breed true
big_smile.png
just having problems finding nice stock to use though
he.gif

not the best pic of 2 of my 2nd gens that aren't being used as i am experimenting right now before i fully start the program. i love her beard but his is skimpy.leg feathering on both is alright but i want a tad bit thicker on them. it was raining when i took these *
151047_854243183271_394655523_n.jpg

522684_854243697241_546489457_n.jpg

Last edited:
Oh my gosh, that sounds like a really fun breeding project! And if you can get it to breed true, those would sell like popcorn at a theatre!
I like the idea of just having a silked D'Uccle, no black skin (black skin is usually favored for the dark meat the bird produces... which is kind of pointless on a little D'Uccle :p)
pop.gif

Oh my gosh, that sounds like a really fun breeding project! And if you can get it to breed true, those would sell like popcorn at a theatre!
I like the idea of just having a silked D'Uccle, no black skin (black skin is usually favored for the dark meat the bird produces... which is kind of pointless on a little D'Uccle :p)
pop.gif
if you look at the pullet above you will see why i love the black skin on them...

You can believe what you will but I will let you know that every bird you named in your post are cross breds. You can candy coat a name by calling it a Hybrid but it it still a cross bred.
Anybody can call a cross bred chicken a Hybrid but it will not make it anymore a breed,

ETA -

cross·breed

v. cross·bred, cross·breed·ing, cross·breeds
v.tr.
To produce (an organism) by the mating of individuals of different breeds, varieties, or species; hybridize.

v.intr.
To mate so as to produce a hybrid; interbreed.
n.
An organism produced by mating of individuals of different varieties or breeds.
Crossbreed
Verb
To produce a hybrid animal or plant by breeding two animals or two plants of different species or varieties. For example, crossbreeding a male donkey with a female horse will produce a mule.
Noun
An animal or a plant produced by breeding two animals or plants of different species or varieties; a hybrid.

Chris​

When did I ever once say Cornish X or RSL were a breed? What I said was that hatcheries are pretty upfront when they are selling hybrid chickens, and that if you buy a breed of chicken from a hatchery, you're going to get that breed. Maybe not a good example of that breed, but that breed nonetheless.

I'm not sure why you are so vehement in your denouncing of hatchery hybrids--or crossbreeds, if that makes you feel better--but they are wonderful chickens that aren't sold as something they aren't. And no one is going to get a random crossbred chicken from a hatchery masquerading as something else. If it's labeled a Faveroles, a person isn't going to get a Faveroles/RIR cross chick or something like that. Unless it's an Ameraucana, which I concede is horribly misleading.

And since everything I say seems to make you upset, I'm done here. Have a lovely day.

My RSL hens, which are crossbreeds or hybrids, whichever you like to call them since that term is interchangeable, are my best consistent layers with the largest eggs. I had never intended to keep cross breeds not of my own making, but I now intend to keep these as my egg source and plan to get a couple more in the spring..

When did I ever once say Cornish X or RSL were a breed? What I said was that hatcheries are pretty upfront when they are selling hybrid chickens, and that if you buy a breed of chicken from a hatchery, you're going to get that breed. Maybe not a good example of that breed, but that breed nonetheless.

I'm not sure why you are so in your denouncing of hatchery hybrids--or crossbreeds, if that makes you feel better--but they are wonderful chickens that aren't sold as something they aren't. And no one is going to get a random crossbred chicken from a hatchery masquerading as something else. If it's labeled a Faveroles, a person isn't going to get a Faveroles/RIR cross chick or something like that. Unless it's an Ameraucana, which I concede is horribly misleading.

And since everything I say seems to make you upset, I'm done here. Have a lovely day.
So that you know a Hybrid is a cross breed,

Quote:
To mate so as to produce a hybrid; interbreed.

If hatcheries sell "hybrids" then they sell cross bred chicken.

Like I said before, You can believe what you will about hatcheries and there birds, but I have seen the cross bred's and the so called "breeds" from at the least the top 4 hatcheries and they are no where pure bred..

Chris

Back
Top Bottom