What is killing my chicks??

We are rural on a dead end road. I have had issues with most predators in the past including skunks. There was a time when someone was catching and releasing skunks here. I did see some strange vehicles on our road. Most GPS's say our road goes through but it doesn't. The county did eventually put up a sign at the end of the road saying "Dead End". I did set a trap and caught several skunks. I dug a big hole at the back side of our property and each time I eliminated one it went into the hole with some dirt over it. Good luck...

I have several cameras up on my property. Most nights I see a predator on at least one of the cameras. Lately it's been some fox. Now and then coyote. Many years ago I put electric wires around my coops and pens, heavy duty netting covering my pens and concrete under the gates all due to losses from predators in the past. Nothing has gotten past the hot wires so far. If anything does touch them, they will hurt. I put a very powerful fence charger up. I want anything that touches the wires to hurt so they won't test them again. I think the adult predators actually teach their young that a bird isn't worth getting zapped for. Again, good luck...
IMAG0002 09.jpg

I'm really sorry for your loss but I was hoping you could help me? I have a batch of 24 eggs in the incubator right now and we were not expecting to get these let's just say I went away for a week and the eggs somehow got hidden and they were sat on and in the summer heat they of course were fertilized and got growth so now I have some unwanted eggs and I do not have the resources to take care of the chicks that come out of them. You have lost some chicks you probably were going to use them for something.I was hoping that you could take in the chicks that hatch when they do hatch because you know you already have chicks and that means you probably have the resources. I don't know how many will be hatching but I can keep you updated if you could come and get them that would be great!
Possibly interested. When are they due to hatch? Where are you located?

Wow! That’s commitment right there!
Well, it's a skunk. I sat all night and it finally showed up at 4 am. My husband had joined me at 1 am so when I heard the chicks I punched him. He ran into the pen with the flashlight. It had the chicks cornered but ran when he came in. He chased it through the field with the gun . It ran under the tractor and he lost it. I have a big day planned for that skunk tomorrow. So glad the chicks are OK and that my husband didn't get skunked. By the way, the rooster slept through the whole thing.
Wow! Do you know how the skunk got in?

Back
Top Bottom