What is lockdown?

ih66series

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 26, 2011
Altoona, PA
I have never incubated eggs before and would like to in the near future. I think I understand everything except for "lockdown". How do you know when an egg is in lockdown and what exactly is it?

As floridachickhatcher said...from day 18 on, the eggs are not turned or moved so the chicks can get themselves situated to hatch. So, on day 18, temps are steady, humidity is raised to 65-70% and the incubator is not opened (it's 'locked down' ) until the chicks hatch!

It should also be added that you lock yourself down to keep from looking thru the windows every 5 min for pips and zips and trying to help out in the process and keep yourself from going crazy waiting and worrying. If you've never done it, you'll soon find out that it's nerve racking as hell.

Quote:
gig.gif
so true!

What if your eggs are under a broody hen? Should you not let her off the eggs during this time? whenever my hen sits back on her eggs she tucks them under her, is this ok? the eggs get shuffled around when she sits back on them. Should I not let her off the nest after 18 days?
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom