What is Mama missing?

Luvs

Songster
Oct 16, 2017
Texas
This is Blonde, she's not quite a year old and in her first season of laying. She's been in this box all day except for a few minutes here and there. She laid an egg today (she's my only white egg layer) in a different box. There are no eggs under her, fussed a little when I looked her over for injury and found none. She's somewhere in the bottom of the pecking order and the 5 buffs are about her size now. No changes in the last 4 or 5 weeks, nobody is sick or showing signs of sickness. She did not get out of the box to roost with the flock. Should I be concerned?

Attachments

• 20181109_174226.jpg
    20181109_174226.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 24
No poopy butt, comb is same bright red color it usually is. I really don't see any signs of illness at all other than she was in box most but not all of the day and didn't perch with the flock. I am going to give her another one over in the morning in case I missed something thou.

Sorry, her body condition is good. Nothing out of the norm that I could see and I did remove her from the box to look her over earlier.

This is Blonde, she's not quite a year old and in her first season of laying. She's been in this box all day except for a few minutes here and there. She laid an egg today (she's my only white egg layer) in a different box. There are no eggs under her, fussed a little when I looked her over for injury and found none. She's somewhere in the bottom of the pecking order and the 5 buffs are about her size now. No changes in the last 4 or 5 weeks, nobody is sick or showing signs of sickness. She did not get out of the box to roost with the flock. Should I be concerned?
What breed is she?
Did she pitch a fit when you removed her from the nesting box?

Give her another examination - check her crop first thing in the morning before she eats/drinks, look for lice/mites and feel the abdomen for any swelling or bloat.

Photos of her poop would be good too.

I agree with @Wyorp Rock. My hunch is she is broody, but I'd be curious to know what her body language looks like when you take her out of the box, and whether she wants to get right back in. I also don't know whether November would be a normal time for a hen to go broody. Perhaps it can happen any time? I agree if she is not broody, she is probably not feeling well. Good luck!

She is a bantam I bought at TSC last Feb. Body language would be not happy to being held but that is normal for her. She doesn't care for handling at all. She complained loudly when I took her out but it wasn't the screaming I've heard come out if her before. She did want right back in the box thou. Can they go broody the first laying season? For some reason I thought not. I will go over her again with a fine pic comb in the morning and let everyone know what I find if anything. Thank you all!

Back
Top Bottom