what is non gmo feed

It is evident. Why do you think 1 out of every 3 people in America will get cancer?
Quote:
Maybe those who claim they are so "dangerous" should have done some testing over the last 20 years they have been on the market.

Considering most of the population has been eating them in most every product they buy, you'd think any problems would be evident by now

I disagree here too, I'd rather become an organic farmer than risk lives and ecology.

As a youngster I helped with the farming as far back as the days when we still used DDT. I have and have seen tons of chemical pesticides, herbicides, insecticides, etc. applied to crops over the years.

I feel a whole lot better today planting hybrid corn that is also a GMO rather than utilizing all those chemicals.

You have to ride progress to get to the future.

Last edited:
I disagree here too, I'd rather become an organic farmer than risk lives and ecology.
While I commend your thinking and think you are right. Being a home gardener myself and try to do organic but know all the hazards that face crops. But on a larger scale these hybrids and gmos are needed due to so many factors, from insects,disease, excessive heat, drought and assorted other things. I feel without them there would be a lot more hunger in the world. There is just too many people on this planet and to keep them all fed by organic means would be futile. Crop loss due the previous factors would limit quantities available and increase prices even further.

While I commend your thinking and think you are right. Being a home gardener myself and try to do organic but know all the hazards that face crops. But on a larger scale these hybrids and gmos are needed due to so many factors, from insects,disease, excessive heat, drought and assorted other things. I feel without them there would be a lot more hunger in the world. There is just too many people on this planet and to keep them all fed by organic means would be futile. Crop loss due the previous factors would limit quantities available and increase prices even further.

I hate to have my opening post be argumentative, but the bolded lines above are misinformation. I am attaching a link to a United Nations report on how small scale eco-farming is the key to a sustainable future and well-fed population. I have read other recent reports on how, in actuality, yields with GMO crops are worse than conventional large-scale operations. In other words, GMO's are not the answer.

Here is a huffington post (not the most unbiased! sorry) summary of the report:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paula-crossfield/un-ecofarming-feeds-the-world_b_833340.html

And the report itself:
http://www.srfood.org/images/stories/pdf/officialreports/20110308_a-hrc-16-49_agroecology_en.pdf

The man who compiled the report is responsible for the following remark:
"We won't solve hunger and stop climate change with industrial farming on large plantations. The solution lies in supporting small-scale farmers' knowledge and experimentation, and in raising incomes of smallholders so as to contribute to rural development."

I hate to have my opening post be argumentative, but the bolded lines above are misinformation. I am attaching a link to a United Nations report on how small scale eco-farming is the key to a sustainable future and well-fed population. I have read other recent reports on how, in actuality, yields with GMO crops are worse than conventional large-scale operations. In other words, GMO's are not the answer.

Here is a huffington post (not the most unbiased! sorry) summary of the report:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paula-crossfield/un-ecofarming-feeds-the-world_b_833340.html

And the report itself:
http://www.srfood.org/images/stories/pdf/officialreports/20110308_a-hrc-16-49_agroecology_en.pdf

The man who compiled the report is responsible for the following remark:
"We won't solve hunger and stop climate change with industrial farming on large plantations. The solution lies in supporting small-scale farmers' knowledge and experimentation, and in raising incomes of smallholders so as to contribute to rural development."
First of all don't consider Huff Po credible for any information,period not even the weather. Have absolutely no use for the United Nations and their meddling into this country.

While they think that to be true and but can not possibly happen. With current world population growing at an alarming rate food shortages won't be far behind. Believe I am all for organic farming but in reality the world will not be fed that way. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. If that's the case lets just let everyone fend for themselves. Give them the seeds,tools and the know how and say see you later.

At some point our population will outstrip our farming ability. That will happen whether we go GMO or not.

It's no argument for ruining crop genomes and destroying the ability of non-GMO farmers to carry on with traditional methods (as happens with cross-pollinating from GMO).

I hope sanity prevails and we start talking about sustainability long-term, instead of short-term productivity increases that temporarily allow populations to boom, while putting the entire future of farming in the hands of a few profit-obsessed companies.

People need to read forum responses critically, and ask when looking at each comment (including mine), 'Why is this person so adamant?' In my case it's because my children are affected by developmental problems that are entirely mysterious in origin. If science could work out why children are getting sick, perhaps we could trust it to give us safe food.

As for why some forum members are so adamant that GMOs are the way of the future... How many grow the stuff already? And how many are paid to say GMOs are safe?

the way i look at gmo foods is looking at a single specie with no biodiversity. if a virus or some other unexpected pest arises to devastate a food crop such as corn because all the corn is "created" the same, it has the potential to empty the food shelves in very short order. just as with the bubonic plague wiping out 1/3 of europe in months, if all humans had the same blueprint, the plague would have wiped out 100% of europe. biodiversity is essential for survival, whether it is plant or animal.

it also creates the opportunity for a power monger (individual or company) to take a patent on a gmo product such as corn, and it gives them the rights to life (such as corn). no one can grow corn without paying this power-monger money for the privilege.

in my opinion.

First of all don't consider Huff Po credible for any information,period not even the weather. Have absolutely no use for the United Nations and their meddling into this country.

While they think that to be true and but can not possibly happen. With current world population growing at an alarming rate food shortages won't be far behind. Believe I am all for organic farming but in reality the world will not be fed that way. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. If that's the case lets just let everyone fend for themselves. Give them the seeds,tools and the know how and say see you later.

I specifically apologized for linking huffpo in my post. It was the first summary of the report in question that came up on Google and I wanted to include a summary because I knew you wouldn't actually read the report. Though I didn't expect the outright dismissal you gave it simply because it came from the UN.

The "reality" is that the world could most easily be fed by organic means (EASILY!!!). If we simply stopped wasting so much food it would more than cover a drop in yields (by switching to organic). Not only that, I would guess that you could switch to organic and end starvation if the people were simply given the resources. But unfortunately in the society we live in this is not a priority (notice how I don't say it 'isn't possible'?). Possibilities are infinite and boundless, they are only constrained by our puny brains and even more so by the greed (also infinite and boundless) within them. IMO.

Quote:
It is evident. Why do you think 1 out of every 3 people in America will get cancer?

It's not "evident" all cancers (or any actually) are caused by GMO foods
People have gotten cancer for millions of years

GMO's are 20 years old

One of the biggest reasons it SEEMS more get cancer now is we can detect it much more easily

The most deadly cancers, Melanoma, and Lung Cancer, are not food related at all

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom