what is non gmo feed

Vanessabuffsnsilkies

Songster
10 Years
May 26, 2009
NE Ohio
What is it and why is it a good thing.
caf.gif

GMO is Genetically Modified Organism. It means the stuff in the food didn't start out with a chemistry set.
smile.png
(Some 90%+ of soy in the USA is GMO)

Why is it good (or better)? Well, I'm sure there are those that would debate the issue for long periods of time but many folks not aren't convinced it's healthy or safe. Many of the food "authorities" say it's perfectly safe but "authorities" also said that about DDT, Fen-phen, lead in paint, mercury folks used to play with in their hands, etc.

You are what you eat so if you are going to raise meat birds or eat their eggs, don't put anything into their feed you don't want to eat.

----- Ed

In addition to what DigitalEd said. Some folks have issue with the GMO seed being licensed and propriety, also concerns over what happens if it cross pollinates to natural or non-gmo crops. It gets into the genetics debate.
ON

The debate is growing stronger. My old FFA advisor said something about farmers using GMOs and related "technology" to produce more yield in crops or cause livestock to reach market maturity more quickly. Of course, not all GMOs are something to shy at; seedless grapes/watermelons are GMOs. This is because their growth is controlled and manipulated by humans simply for the sake of convenience and therefore marketing techniques. I have no solid standpoint on the matter; if we can create crops or livestock that have genes dominant for resisting diseases and mutations, then GMOs can be a great innovation for the future of agriculture. However, if people start overdoing it and destroy the main strains of natural resources, then it becomes just another industrialized manmade disaster. Still, one must realize that a GMO is not defined as something made by humans in order to satisfy greed or manipulate the consumer; it can be something as simple as the result of selective breeding/growing.

Still, one must realize that a GMO is not defined as something made by humans in order to satisfy greed or manipulate the consumer; it can be something as simple as the result of selective breeding/growing.

I DISAGREE with the statement... GMO does NOT mean selective breeding!

A genetically modified organism (GMO) or genetically engineered organism (GEO) is an organism whose genetic material has been altered using genetic engineering techniques. These techniques, generally known as recombinant DNA technology, use DNA molecules from different sources, which are combined into one molecule to create a new set of genes. This DNA is then transferred into an organism, giving it modified or novel genes. Transgenic organisms, a subset of GMOs, are organisms which have inserted DNA that originated in a different species. Some GMOs contain no DNA from other species and are therefore not transgenic but cisgenic. Genetic modification involves the insertion or deletion of genes. When genes are inserted, they usually come from a different species, which is a form of horizontal gene transfer. In nature this can occur when exogenous DNA penetrates the cell membrane for any reason. To do this artificially may require attaching the genes to a virus or just physically inserting the extra DNA into the nucleus of the intended host with a very small syringe, or with very small particles fired from a gene gun.[1] However, other methods exploit natural forms of gene transfer, such as the ability of Agrobacterium to transfer genetic material to plants,[2] or the ability of lentiviruses to transfer genes to animal cells.

GMO has NOT been tested NOR shown safe for human or animal consumption on a long term scale. PLUS it is taking over the "natural" original plants... Google GMO and Canola plants... It is one of the biggest problems in the farming industry right now... http://www.percyschmeiser.com/​

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm new to backyard chicken raising, and I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can buy non-GMO feed in the San Diego area. Thank you! --Molly

You seem to be confusing GMO with hybridization. Most seeds are hybrids, or have been bred by crossing plants of the same species. GMOs come in when they add genes from another species to make them resistant to diseases, chemicals or bugs. Not really the same thing. Some people do not like hybrids either, but GMO is a whole other ball of wax. The fact that you cannot control cross pollination of these organisms or the fact that they have not been around long enough to really know the consequences, make them questionable to some. BT corn for example is already making the worm resistant to BT, rendering BT useless to organic growers and regular folks who use it sparingly, as it should be used. Profit is a major objective for GMO crops IMHO.

The debate is growing stronger. My old FFA advisor said something about farmers using GMOs and related "technology" to produce more yield in crops or cause livestock to reach market maturity more quickly. Of course, not all GMOs are something to shy at; seedless grapes/watermelons are GMOs. This is because their growth is controlled and manipulated by humans simply for the sake of convenience and therefore marketing techniques. I have no solid standpoint on the matter; if we can create crops or livestock that have genes dominant for resisting diseases and mutations, then GMOs can be a great innovation for the future of agriculture. However, if people start overdoing it and destroy the main strains of natural resources, then it becomes just another industrialized manmade disaster. Still, one must realize that a GMO is not defined as something made by humans in order to satisfy greed or manipulate the consumer; it can be something as simple as the result of selective breeding/growing.

Quote: Maybe those who claim they are so "dangerous" should have done some testing over the last 20 years they have been on the market.

Considering most of the population has been eating them in most every product they buy, you'd think any problems would be evident by now

As a youngster I helped with the farming as far back as the days when we still used DDT. I have and have seen tons of chemical pesticides, herbicides, insecticides, etc. applied to crops over the years.

I feel a whole lot better today planting hybrid corn that is also a GMO rather than utilizing all those chemicals.

You have to ride progress to get to the future.

Back
Top Bottom