What is "normal" after hatching?

Isaiah53

Songster
Jan 8, 2018
Osoyoos BC Canada
I have a tiny chick that hatched. Has been active but slows down as if to sleep. Then gets up again At what stage is it "normal" as in when should I expect less sleep and more movement? It hatched completely around 10am Pacific time. The pipping unzipping lasted about 36 hours To hatch. I just want to monitor it.

Also when would you move your chick to the brooder? It's the only one to hatch yet and I am not sure when it's safe to move it from the incubator. The incubator is at 99.5 with a humidity of 66-70%.

Any advice is appreciated.

If possible, I'd like to put it back with its mom. She had one chick hatch last Saturday. Since the other eggs were not to hatch for another 2 to 5 days, I removed the last of her eggs as I did not want her to abandon them to care for her first chick. When do you think it is best to place this new chick (and the ones to come, maybe another 5) with mama? I was thinking of moving them one at a time when they're all about 3 days old. This way mama may not notice the change all at once and reject them... Your thoughts?

Maybe whoever can answer Isaiah53 will be able to help me as well. (Congrats Isaiah 53!!) My broody hen has been sitting on her eggs for 19 days. Lots of anticipation here. Once the chicks begin hatching, is there anything in particular that I need to do? I had it in mind to let them hatch, then move mama hen and chicks to an isolation pen that is all set and ready. I don't think she can stay where she is, since the chicks will just topple out of the laying box. Any advice is so very appreciated.

I don't think that's going to work. All eggs hatch within a 24 to 36 hour period. Your Hen is not in hatching mode anymore. She is Momma now and won't take in other Chicks..She won't be fooled and will kill the new Chicks.
Your better off to raise them in a Brooder. You can try it, although I don't see it working...

I don't think that's going to work. All eggs hatch within a 24 to 36 hour period. Your Hen is not in hatching mode anymore. She is Momma now and won't take in other Chicks..She won't be fooled and will kill the new Chicks.
Your better off to raise them in a Brooder. You can try it, although I don't see it working...
Thank you for your input. I see from other forums there are some who've had success and some who haven't. Have you ever tried this before or have you known others who've not been successful? I agree it's not the ideal scenario but circumstances may necessitate doing so.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom