What is on my egg?

mackenzie450

Chirping
5 Years
May 15, 2016
This is the first egg from one of my hens.
I really don't think it is poop. It has the consistency of cement.

I haven't seen blood that thick on an egg, it's usually just smeared on. Can you scratch it off? I still think it might be pigment as anything else would have had pigment put over it.

I bet it's cecal poop.......get it wet and take a sniff.

Ran it under water, smelled it, scratched it, no aroma whatsoever. My initial thought was that it was poop or something similar but it was a reddish color and the consistency was more of a hard powder. Scratches off but doesn't rinse off easily. No smell. I ended up throwing it away and haven't had another since but I was very curious as to what it was.

Ran it under water, smelled it, scratched it, no aroma whatsoever. My initial thought was that it was poop or something similar but it was a reddish color and the consistency was more of a hard powder. Scratches off but doesn't rinse off easily. No smell. I ended up throwing it away and haven't had another since but I was very curious as to what it was.
Now, I've seen it all. The scratch and sniff egg! I'm guessing it's either cecal, or blood. Hydrogen peroxide would be a good rule out for blood. Foams like crazy in the presence of blood.

Back
Top Bottom