What is one thing you figured out about chickens that you wish you knew when you began?

Here would be my go-to list. I keep all of these on hand.

The list is from most important to least important.

1.) Liquid Corid (This is for the treatment of coccidiosis)
2.) Vetericyn, neosporin with NO pain killer, and or honey (Vetericyn and ORIGINAL neosporin are both for wound care. Vetericyn is more of an antibacterial spray. ORIGINAL neosporin is more of an antibacterial cream. Honey is optional here, it helps wound recover, but is not as great on large wounds, only for small scrapes, its also bad because it attracts flies).
3.) Valbezen, Safeguard, etc. (Safeguard and Valbezen are both chicken dewormers. They may say "for goats, sheep, cattle," but they are used for chickens off label).
4.) Vaseline/petroleum jelly (Treatment for scaly leg mites)
5.) Tweezers (for picking off maggots from a bird with flystrike).
6.) Monistat 7 (This is an anti fungal treatment for sour crop).
7.) Coconut oil (For cooking for chickens and for impacted crop).
8.) Dog crate and dog pads (This is for separating sick birds).
9.) Extra syringes (To give medications orally with).
10.) Rooster booster, save-a-chick electrolytes, etc. (Immune booster/supplement).
11.) Towels, blow dryer, scissors, etc. (For washing birds).
Are you applying the honey directly to the wound? I had heard about that years ago for people from a beekeeper that had lived in Germany. It's a thing over there.

How determined they can be to poop in their own food and water. I have spent years looking for the perfect food and water containers with the sole purpose of keeping poop out.

Welcome to BYC.

My best feeder is the traditional, metal, hanging sort placed at back-level and I have an anti-roost cover on it. It stays poop-free.

My waterers are all the horizontal nipple type. No poop there either. :)

Be prepared for loss. It will more than likely be your friendliest, most unique looking, rare or expensive ones that you will lose. No matter how secure your coop, run and yard is. How clean you keep everything or how well stocked your medicine chest and first aid kit are. You are going to lose some. Sometimes you will be put in the position that you will need to be the one to end their suffering also.

We are constantly learning and improving our routine with the chickens and their set-up, as well as learning about their different personalities and the needs/preferences of different breeds. What is something you have learned about keeping chickens through experience that would have been helpful to know back when you first started?
I guess for me, realizing how durable and basic they really are. I would worry about snow, are they cold, are they too warm, are they sick, are they happy, etc. The reality is, that less is more with chickens. I love them, they follow me around all the time, but there is not much going on upstairs lol. Keep it simple, don't overthink things. Chickens don't need much. Last year, I lost one and could not figure out what I did or didn't do to cause its death, but that is the other thing, life happens. Like humans or any other creature, some have conditions that are often hidden, genetic or other.

Are you applying the honey directly to the wound? I had heard about that years ago for people from a beekeeper that had lived in Germany. It's a thing over there.
I have done it before, twice. Both times were on small wounds. The thing about honey is that it is sticky and sweet. That is why it would not work well on large wounds or for humid and hot areas. It would attract flies and other insects, which can cause flystrike. That is why the only times I might use it wiuld be on a really small would during winter.

The two times I have used it was one the neck of one of my chickens which healed and the head and leg of one of my quails (she was kept in the house) and she healed completely as well.

I wish I had known how quickly they forget snuggling. I went away for 3 weeks in the summer, leaving my 4 girls with my husband. When I came back, the older 2 still sat on my lap, though not for as long a time as before, and the 2 little ones, who had been raised by hand as only chicks, didn't even want to come over to me. They follow me again now, but refuse to sit on my lap. I should have never left them. :hit

The Vaseline is also great for coating (lightly) combs and wattles against frostbite. The Monistat cream is my go-to for vent gleet. I'd also add Hen Healer to the list, which soothes and protects pecking injuries without the crazy staining of BluKote.
I personally seperate birds with a wound. Mainly because I like to watch their poop, food intake, follow up on their wound, etc.

It is much easier to do so when the bird is seperated. I have never had to use Blu-kote, so I am not sure how useful that is. I have never used Hen healer either, because I have never had a pecking problem in my flock, since I seperate birds with wounds anyways.

But if I do try it in the future and it works, I will add it to the list. I just want to make sure it works.

BAG BALM is a miracle worker! Including on chickens. I've used it for scaley mites, and once when I hen got her back sliced open by a rooster.. Amazing how both issues resolved themselves. The hen if she were a human would have needed stitches, but keeping the BB globbed on there, all the swelling subsided and the wound closed by itself. It's also not an attractant for flies and such.

BAG BALM is a miracle worker! Including on chickens. I've used it for scaley mites, and once when I hen got her back sliced open by a rooster.. Amazing how both issues resolved themselves. The hen if she were a human would have needed stitches, but keeping the BB globbed on there, all the swelling subsided and the wound closed by itself. It's also not an attractant for flies and such.
I have to second thIs-i had a hen with horrible rooster burn and used bag balm to heal her up. The only hard part was catching her

Back
Top Bottom